Greg H
Topic Author

Roles/Professions in Coriolis

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 19:45

What roles/professions are covered in Coriolis? I'm guessing the usual suspects (the fighter, the starship pilot, the merchant) are covered... But what else is there?
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

Vainamoinen

Re: Roles/Professions in Coriolis

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 20:44

Ah, I tried to translate the Swedish "Concepts" once on the basis of a youtube flip-through video, but I threw the sheet of scrap paper away eventually... :P

The "merchant" probably isn't in it though! The Merchant is an Icon for one thing, and second, she probably doesn't have quite the skills to travel through the Third Horizon in a space ship. I remember the soldier of course, and the pilot, and some kind of diplomat or mediator, a researcher (probably technomancer), a clear cut explorer and some form of alien runaway.

I might be mistaken on some though, so let's wait for the experts. ;)

baylox

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 21:37

Freely (and very quickly) translated from Swedish:
  • Agent
  • Artist
  • Dataspider
  • Explorer
  • Scientist (which includes archaeologist, medic and tech)
  • Mediator
  • Pilot
  • Preacher
  • Fugitive
  • Ship worker
  • Soldier
Each concept has three sub-concepts (as with Scientist above) which is what you actually pick.
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Greg H
Topic Author

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 22:37

Sounds good, thanks!
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

Vainamoinen

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 23:32

Wait, so there are actually 33 concepts/character classes? That sounds awesome!  :shock:

I'm very interested in the artist range of concepts, it sounds like there's more need for those in the Coriolis universe than in ours.  8-) 

baylox

Fri 19 Aug 2016, 08:43

The difference between subclasses is just which skills they start with as class skills (which can start at a higher value), but there is obviously a great thematic difference between them all, such as in the Scientist example. All other options belong to the parent class (choice of start talent and equipment, for example).

baylox

Fri 19 Aug 2016, 08:44

I'm very interested in the artist range of concepts, it sounds like there's more need for those in the Coriolis universe than in ours.  8-) 
We can't spoil everything for you. Some things have to be discovered on your own. ;)

Zapp

Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:59

Concepts or archetypes or professions in skill-based games are often simply a collection of pre-selected choices (such as which skills you have potential in).

Sure, some games add significantly to the crunch factor by giving each concept an unique ability. Mutant Year Zero is such a game.

But overall I would say it's rather easy to come up with a Coriolis concept of your own, to modify an existing one, and to evaluate if two concepts are roughly equal.

Vainamoinen

Fri 19 Aug 2016, 13:10

But overall I would say it's rather easy to come up with a Coriolis concept of your own, to modify an existing one, and to evaluate if two concepts are roughly equal.
That's what the game's designers have told me as well. :)

Umberto Octo

Fri 19 Aug 2016, 17:18

We can't spoil everything for you. Some things have to be discovered on your own. ;)
On one hand, I've been wading through the Swedish version of some Coriolis material because (like others) I'm eager to dive into its world. On the other tentacle, I want to enjoy reading it, and struggling with meager ability to read Swedish increases my ability to be patient for the English-language version.
I like the journey of discovery. Even if the discovery has to wait another one hundred and some days. :)
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"