Storpotaten

Re: Moria Alpha PDF Feedback

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 11:39

Not a typo, but I find it a little strange that the words "Maia" and "Maiar" are not used anywhere in the section about the Balrog (or anywhere in the book for that matter). Is this due to rights issues? Didn't Professor T use the word anywhere in the LOTR appendices?

NickM

Wed 06 Mar 2024, 13:48

There is a repetition on pg 31, under Toil and Hunger:

Similarly, keep reminding the Company of their light sources. They are assumed to have a stock of torches or other lights, but torches mean smoke and heat, candles mean dripping wax and flickering flames, and magic light — well, magic light is all well and good, but draws plenty of attention.

♦ Remind them of their lack of other supplies, too. Using rope to climb down a chasm is all well and good, but — as Sam observed — how do you get the rope back when you are done with it?

9lives

Thu 07 Mar 2024, 06:34

The diagram on pg 143 has a disconnected #13 on the map with no description.
There is no 6b labeled on the map.
The C for 6c is not clear.

DerSchwerpunkt

Thu 07 Mar 2024, 07:21

The diagram on pg 143 has a disconnected #13 on the map with no description.
There is no 6b labeled on the map.
The C for 6c is not clear.
That is a B and refers to 6B in this context.

It does feel as if the font could do with a bit of work as this keeps coming up.

Storpotaten

Thu 07 Mar 2024, 11:04

Not a typo, but P. 82 looks unbalanced layout-wise with its single column of text to the right. I realize this is probably due to lack of text, but maybe the graphic below can be altered or added to a little to compensate? Or even more text written? Should be enough with a paragraph or two - mabye about an additional location by the East-Gate? We'll never tire of more material :-D

On P 83, I'm confused by the sidebar about the gates, and especially by this part: "However, when Thrór II came to Moria in 2790, he found “the Gate was open.” Does that mean the gates could have been closed when Thrór arrived?"

I'm guessing "Thrór II" should be just "Thrór" - and then the second "Thrór" should maybe be "Thráin II"? Otherwise - how could Thrór find the gates both open and closed at the same time?

Below, there is a suggestion that the gates could have been destroyed in the retreat from Moria - but how could that be if Thrór found the gate "open" in 2780? I guess "open" could mean "destroyed", but I'd suggest rephrasing parts of the sidebar for clarity.

Dunheved

Sat 09 Mar 2024, 15:59

9th March

TYPO? Page 169 (or 'page' 173 of the pdf) : final paragraph in column 2 has this

"This was where the Dwarves delved too deep. This was
where the Balrog woke.
This is a corrupted place: Player-heroes who enter here
gain 3 points of Shadow (Sorcery). Those who fall also feel a
strange compulsion to climb down the...."

Is the word FALL meant to be the word FAIL? I can't see anyone would "climb down" if they have fallen.

Doktor

Sun 10 Mar 2024, 05:06

Shouldn't there be a mention of Naglur's whereabouts and landmark p 127 when Dimrill gate speaks about him p78 without ever a trace of previous explanation or mention at that point?

Doktor

Sun 10 Mar 2024, 14:22

Feeling quite underwhelmed about the absence of guidance on when (during Fellowship, through or instead of Gather rumours/Meet patron? during an Adventure phase interaction, eg reading in a library, asking around?) and how is it appropriate to use the Lore rolls to gather a Rumour about Moria and its Landmarks, especially as it seems to be an important part of finding about obscure landmarks at all, and acquiring knowledge of the general whereabouts of locations in Moria as it pertains to special underground Journey rules and the additionnal Seeking rule. This is especially true of results on the False rumour table, which except for the rarity of a Gandalf rune result says nothing to guide the Loremaster in talking about a region/place in Moria which th eplayers are then supposed to use for a target before making the Journey and then confirming the rumour to be false by a Seeking roll.

Doktor

Sun 10 Mar 2024, 20:50

Adding to my previous remarks on the Moria rumour Lore rolls and the Journeys. It seems weird to be a player facing decision, as if the player fails he knows (or will catch up after the first time it happens it's gonna be a false rumour...and then still absolutely no mention of how this tble gives a physical region to look for a location/landmark, as the first step in underground Journeys require nd further implied later in the Seeking optionnal rule where the only result than can come from following a false rumour is getting stuck in that place and suffering a journey event

Doktor

Sun 10 Mar 2024, 21:14

p.13 lays some ways to learn of Lore; p.25 tells of a further mechanic through Lore rolls to get rumours; p.36 talks of the modified Journey sequence; p38 talks about how to Seek locations of which you knwo little, but adds a comment bout what happensi f it came from a false rumour from Gather rumour as exemple-but that would be thoroughly evil from a Loremaster as it's a Fellowship undertaking and should be an actual advantage for players just like tengwars are supposed to count for something-; p72 says Famous landmarks are known if a successful Lore roll is made (though not specified if it's the special kind layed out in p.13) and that a ROUGH LOCATION is known, then it talks about a new fellowship undertaking called Research Lore of moria (??we only have a solo undertaking p177 called Fortify the Halls) and possible knowledge through Old Lore with the commentary to see above but nothing of the sort have I found...and further ways like through adventuring or direct intervention from LM to discover some of the rarest landmarks (Hidden). So what is Gather rumours? What is Old Lore? What is Research Lore of Moria? How do you get a false location?