KilJhard
Topic Author

FedEx Scamming

Mon 04 Dec 2023, 19:13

Hey everyone (specifically Canadians)!

I had recently purchased the book, The Dunwhich Horror from Free League's store and it arrived early November. There were no charges I needed to pay prior or on delivery which I thought was great unitl a couple of weeks later I received a letter in the mail from FedEx stating I had an amount of $92.73CAD for a $35CAD book. Turns out, FedEx declared the value of the book to be....wait for it.....$385.60CAD!!!!!

Has anyone else in Canada experience this? This is the first time this has happened and I sent an email to FedEx 2 weeks ago and they still haven't replied. I'm asking because I just got the notice that my copy of, Building Better Worlds has shipped and once again its being shipped by FedEx and I'm pretty certain they are going to try and pull this again. If they do I may have to stop pre-ordering and backing Kickstarters because paying $100 for a $35 book is not worth it at all and I'd rather just wait for it to arrive in stores at that point. :(

Fenhorn

Re: FedEx Scamming

Mon 04 Dec 2023, 21:38

I have seen some extreme costs from just Canada before. I hope you also send a message to FL about it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Arktosaur

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 05:34

I had something similar happen to me, the reason being that they declared the value of what I ordered as if it were in Canadian, but didn't convert the numbers from SEK, so the declared value of a $500 CAD order was listed as almost $4000 instead (because $500 is about 4000 SEK). It was super frustrating and it sounds like that's what's happened to you.

KilJhard
Topic Author

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 06:35

I have seen some extreme costs from just Canada before. I hope you also send a message to FL about it.
I have not, though I cancelled the next package that was supposed to follow the first book. It's obviously too late for the, Aliens: Building Better Worlds book since its already in FedEx's hands and to arrive on Wednesday.
I will reach out to Free League because this is not right at all.

KilJhard
Topic Author

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 06:36

I had something similar happen to me, the reason being that they declared the value of what I ordered as if it were in Canadian, but didn't convert the numbers from SEK, so the declared value of a $500 CAD order was listed as almost $4000 instead (because $500 is about 4000 SEK). It was super frustrating and it sounds like that's what's happened to you.
This is the first time it's happened but its extremely frustrating. The laziness of FedEx is unbelievable.

Arktosaur

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 15:57

This is the first time it's happened but its extremely frustrating. The laziness of FedEx is unbelievable.
It’s probably a mistake on Free League’s part (or whatever company does their North American shipping), unfortunately. Definitely email Free League. It was annoying and frustrating, but they were able to sort it out for me within a few days.

KilJhard
Topic Author

Tue 05 Dec 2023, 16:01

It’s probably a mistake on Free League’s part (or whatever company does their North American shipping), unfortunately. Definitely email Free League. It was annoying and frustrating, but they were able to sort it out for me within a few days.
Thanks. Yeah I just sent an email to Free League so waiting on hearing back from them.

Boneguard

Sat 09 Dec 2023, 00:33

First bit is not unusual for FEDEX.

Unlike DHL (who tends to let you know as your shipment is in transit), they will sometime send you a letter with the payment for Taxes and brokers fee a month or two after you've received it.

The second part looks like someone forgot to do their conversion from SEK to CAD. Hopefully it will get fixed.

KilJhard
Topic Author

Sat 09 Dec 2023, 02:59

First bit is not unusual for FEDEX.

Unlike DHL (who tends to let you know as your shipment is in transit), they will sometime send you a letter with the payment for Taxes and brokers fee a month or two after you've received it.

The second part looks like someone forgot to do their conversion from SEK to CAD. Hopefully it will get fixed.
Hopefully does. I've reached out to Free League but have heard nothing back (usually get a reply in 24 hours) and its been 4 days now.

Funny enough, I received the Aliens: Building Better Worlds which was shipped/delivered by FedEx and it's definitely a MUCH heavier book than the other one, yet I only paid $14 for it to cross over into Canada. >:(

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 12 Dec 2023, 19:57

the problem is FEDEX not FREE LEAGUE.
checks all your orders guys. I'm canadian and I paid 20$ for customs for BBW book and it's ok.