Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Case File 02: Fiery Angels PDF Feedback

Fri 17 Nov 2023, 22:45

p. 12 outlines in detail an event involving detainment/arrest and V-K testing of the Noah templant PC (presumably under suspicion of being a bootleg replicant imposter) however there is no clear guidance or description of the events which lead to this and it is implied that the scene is not optional or contingent on certain events taking place (It has been pointed out previously that this section refers to a timeline event that seems to be missing).

There is reference to Ezekiel/McCoy arresting the templant PC in the lockup fallout section (p. 30), however this doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere in the text. Additionally, downtime events for the templant PC are outlined where Eziekiel/McCoy appears and elicits information related to the PC's key memories and these seem to be referred to in the VK test according to the section on p. 12.

My best guess is that Eziekiel/McCoy will arrest the templant PC and attempt to frame them as a replicant imposter and/or try and convince Holden of this, but will only do so in desperation if both the existence of Noah has been exposed, and his attempt to kill the PC (as outlined in the timeline) to avoid exposing Lilliths plot fails (otherwise it would be unlikely that Eziekiel/McCoy would risk alerting Holden to the possibility of replicants infiltrating the Rep detect unit and/or not simply killing the PC when the opportuinity arose)?

I feel that either the timeline needs to include the relevant events leading to the templant PC's arrest, or, there needs to be some clear guidance outlining some of the sequences of events that might lead to suspicion and arrest of the templant PC (if this remains in the module as an optional event).
Very happy you pointed this out! It turns out that the graphic designer failed to include one key countdown event in the table on page 11. This should be event #6, occuring Day 3 Afternoon / Day 3 Morning / Day 2 Evening / Day 2 Evening. From the text manuscript:
Deputy Chief Holden calls Noah’s templant character and orders them to come to his office immediately. There, he is met by McCoy, who takes the character to an interrogation room, with a Voight-Kampff Machine. Only there does the character realize that they are the one being interrogated – McCoy (actually Ezekiel) has convinced Holden that the character might be a Replicant impostor. The Empathy Test occupies this Shift for the character. See the adjacent sidebar Taking the Empathy Test for more information.
Note: This event does not occur if Noah’s templant character is an N-9 Replicant.
Fria Ligan

C-Beam

Sat 18 Nov 2023, 10:40

Very happy you pointed this out! It turns out that the graphic designer failed to include one key countdown event in the table on page 11. This should be event #6, occuring Day 3 Afternoon / Day 3 Morning / Day 2 Evening / Day 2 Evening. From the text manuscript:
Deputy Chief Holden calls Noah’s templant character and orders them to come to his office immediately. There, he is met by McCoy, who takes the character to an interrogation room, with a Voight-Kampff Machine. Only there does the character realize that they are the one being interrogated – McCoy (actually Ezekiel) has convinced Holden that the character might be a Replicant impostor. The Empathy Test occupies this Shift for the character. See the adjacent sidebar Taking the Empathy Test for more information.
Note: This event does not occur if Noah’s templant character is an N-9 Replicant.
Thanks Tomas, everything makes perfect sense now. I particularly like the idea that the character is lured in under pretext of a meeting to suddenly find themselves on the wrong end of a Voight-Kampff machine! Very much looking forward to running this one with my group - I've been intrigued by the idea of replicant impostors replacing key figures since seeing this among the options in the case file generator of the main rulebook so it's very cool to see in this installment.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat 18 Nov 2023, 17:07

Thanks Tomas, everything makes perfect sense now. I particularly like the idea that the character is lured in under pretext of a meeting to suddenly find themselves on the wrong end of a Voight-Kampff machine! Very much looking forward to running this one with my group - I've been intrigued by the idea of replicant impostors replacing key figures since seeing this among the options in the case file generator of the main rulebook so it's very cool to see in this installment.
Very cool. We had a great time playtesting this, hopefully you will too. :)
Fria Ligan

Cardlinger

Tue 28 Nov 2023, 21:43

Hi there! Did case File 1 this weekend, had a great time, had already preordered Case File 2 :lol:

One other question that sprang to mind (you answered the main one above about the V-K test missing from the countdown timeline). There's an option to roll for 'secret replicant' when character building. If the "human" character (ie the person running the character they think is human but might be replicant) is called in for a VK test, what is the outcome? Or, do we make sure as game runners we 100% don't pick a secret replicant - only a fully human one?

I assume the latter, i.e. if all the characters are either known or secret replicants we just don't run that scene. In a way that'd be a shame as it'd be a cool way to 'out' a secret replicant, but I don't see how it would work with the rest of the plot...

Anyway, just a thought: the rest looks great, and look forward to its arrival. Thanks again, Blade Runner is my favourite movie so I'm pleased Case File 1 was so well received!

Kirdan

Tue 19 Dec 2023, 01:15

Page 043, in description of DA Amara Jhaveri there is a mistake in her name, as the first sentence states: Assistant DA Ava Jhaveri
„Hope is the first step on a road to disappointment”