WastelandSniper
Topic Author

What region source book do you want to see next?

Sun 16 Apr 2023, 03:30

I really love the whole concept behind Vaesen, and the artwork is a big part of that. I have the first three art books Johan Egerkrans has done, and I really enjoyed the fact that The Undead covered several different regions. I've recently been thinking about what region I'd like to see as the next source book, and what kind of creatures might be included. I'd love an Asian region source book, but I think first I'd really enjoy seeing a North American region source book. I just think it would be really fun to set a campaign in North America, with monsters like the Chupacabra, Big Foot, the wendigo, La Llorona, the jackalope, and skinwalkers. The Headless Horseman would also make a great addition to a campaign based around the northern American colonies. And the art would of course look amazing. Anyway, that's my wish.

What about you guys? What regions do you want to see next and what kinds of mythological creatures are found there that might show up in a new book for this game?

FantomPencil

Re: What region source book do you want to see next?

Sun 16 Apr 2023, 19:16

For me it's got to be Myths and Folklore of Eastern Europe. From Poland down to Romania, Bulgaria and Greece, from the German Alps to western Russia. Full of unpronounceable Polish creatures, Baba Yaga and - of course - vampires.

WastelandSniper
Topic Author

Sun 16 Apr 2023, 21:02

I'd love to see some Slavic folklore! We definitely need to see Baba Yaga and her chicken-foot house in Vaesen at some point.

PTV31264

Fri 28 Apr 2023, 18:11

Both of those regions sound great. If Free League does an American setting I would love to have it in Appalachia. There is so much myth and folklore in those dark hills that it would be a great Vaesen book. Same goes for Slavic lands...but if I could take this homeward a little, I would like to have a Finno-ugric book. Going east and north looking at ancient folklore from Sami and Karelia.

bergec

Sat 22 Jul 2023, 06:22

Worth noting that the chupacabra only goes back to the mid-90s. :)

My vote's also for Slavic.
Eric Christian Berg

Raven Nash

Sat 09 Dec 2023, 11:12

After watching the movie Irati, I'd vote for a source book on the basque region and maybe Spain. Such rich folklore, and a lot of Vaesen here.

Athanor

Thu 14 Dec 2023, 18:38

I'd love a supplement about Japan in the late Edo period (19th century). With Yōkai, samurai, ...

Boneguard

Sun 17 Dec 2023, 21:50

If you speak French the L'Alsace Mythique from the Arkhane Asylum publishing (who hold the French licence for Vaesen) is actually pretty good and have a few personal twist to it.

Otherwise, somethnig covering the Finnish, Saami and Karelia folklore (to fully cover that area) would be nice. Eastern European or Basque/Iberic Peninsula area would also be quite interesting as there are a lot of potential and varied folklore in those part.

As a Canadian, I agree that North America would be nice, but then what do you cover: Do you do a kitbash of all the folklore? Focus on a handful of folklores such as: French Canadian folklore, English Canadian folklore, New England folklore, Louisiana Folklore, Spanish Florida Folklore, Inuit folklore, First Nations folklores (and here do you mash everything together or try to differentiate between Tribes, "cultural families", geographic (Northerm Plains, West coast, etc.)), Mexican Folklore, etc. There's quite a lot that you could probably justify a handful of supplements.

Byrax

Tue 19 Dec 2023, 15:49

Egerkrans seems to be working on a American Vaesen art book… lovely stuff.

I am guessing that a Slavic book, perhaps with inspiration from The Undead, is the next in line, however.

Byrax

Thu 04 Jan 2024, 09:38

The L'Alsace Mythique book needs a translation!