baldrick0712
Topic Author

Handedness?

Tue 26 Mar 2024, 17:58

In the rules it mentions using a weapon in each hand but it does not mention (as far as I can tell) any penalties for using a weapon in your non-dominant hand (your left hand for most people). I also don't see any mention of ambidexterity (i.e. the ability of some people to be able to use their right or left hand equally well). Is there anything in the rules about handedness and ambidexterity that I have somehow missed or is this just not covered? If it's not covered, how would you handle it? Maybe a -1 penalty to actions taken with your non-dominant hand if you are not ambidextrous? And how would you determine ambidexterity? Maybe take as a general Specialty?

FatherJ_ct

Re: Handedness?

Wed 27 Mar 2024, 04:51

A person's handedness is not covered in the rules. Obviously, players can choose their dominant hand. Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness , almost 90% of people are right handed, 10% left, and 1% ambidextrous

You can simulate a roll to determine handedness that close enough with D12 vs D4. Where D12 is for right and D4 for left and ties mean ambidextrous.
["Opposing Dice Probability Mastersheet" https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0 ]

-1 for shooting one handed that is not dominant hand seems reasonable.

As far as specialities, you could certainly homebrew add in "Ambidextrous" as something they have trained themselves to do, or perhaps a 5XP add on to "sidearms" for practiced "offhand shooting" to negate the -1 penalty.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 27 Mar 2024, 08:45

You can simulate a roll to determine handedness that close enough with D12 vs D4. Where D12 is for right and D4 for left and ties mean ambidextrous.
["Opposing Dice Probability Mastersheet" https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... li=1#gid=0 ]

-1 for shooting one handed that is not dominant hand seems reasonable.
Thanks, I think I will use the D12 vs D4 approach and the -1 penalty for non-dominant hand. Pretty much the only time it will be relevant is when fighting with two weapons at once.

echomikedelta

Wed 27 Mar 2024, 20:10

Anyone who has shot a pistol knows that you need to aim it to be accurate, which requires you to look down the barrel. If you are shooting two guns, you arent aiming down either. Both should get a penalty.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:45

Anyone who has shot a pistol knows that you need to aim it to be accurate, which requires you to look down the barrel. If you are shooting two guns, you arent aiming down either. Both should get a penalty.
When I said the rules cover using a weapon in each hand I think I misspoke. What they actually cover is one-handed shooting (strangely, no mention in the rules of using melee weapons one or two handed). As there is no penalty for shooting a pistol one-handed I naturally started to wonder about using a pistol in each hand.

There are already rules for aiming. If you don't take a fast "Aim" action, the shot incurs a "Quick Shot" penalty (-1 modifier for pistols). However, you raise an interesting point. Clearly it's not possible to aim two pistols simultaneously. I would therefore imagine in most situations in which a character is firing a pistol from each hand, they cannot use a fast "Aim" action first. This would result in a -1 modifier for the pistol in the dominant hand and a -2 modifier for the pistol in the non-dominant hand.

To be honest, I think I've opened a can of worms, as the next logical question would be, is shooting two weapons at once a single slow "Shoot" action? I would think it would have to be, otherwise duel-wielding of firearms would be impossible in the game. The exception would be shooting from the right hand in one turn and the left hand in the next turn (and allowing a fast "Aim" action for both). I appreciate that in 99% of games it's unlikely that characters would be charging around with a gun in each hand but it still might appeal to some players wanting a more "gun fu" style of play.

paladin2019

Fri 29 Mar 2024, 01:40

The game doesn't differentiate left/right for injuries, so I don't worry about it for attacks, either.

FatherJ_ct

Sat 06 Apr 2024, 06:17

Image in my head of some fool running down a street with two MAC-10s....one spraying left and the other spraying right. Brrrrr