Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Moria 5E Alpha PDF Feedback

Wed 20 Mar 2024, 17:07

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in the Alpha PDF of Moria – Shadow of Khazad-dûm™ for 5E. Please note:
  • The solo rules are not yet included in the PDF, they are still in progress.
  • Reported errors or typos in the TOR edition have not been implemented in the 5E edition, so no need to report them again.
  • Some Landmark maps are works in progress and others are still missing.
  • Page references (xx) remain to be done, so no need to report them.
Please report your feedback no later than April 1.
Fria Ligan

timbolton

Re: Moria 5E Alpha PDF Feedback

Thu 21 Mar 2024, 08:46

Hi, a question was asked on the KS post: If you have backed the TOR Moria but added the 5E Moria as an add-on, do you still get this Alpha PDF?
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

decanox

Thu 21 Mar 2024, 10:37

Hi...

Since I play as a player I can't check it out much and I don't know if this is a mistake but in the Section Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost, on page 189:

"Ability Score Increase: Your Strength or Intelligence score increases by 1."

And that's all. Is it not a bit scarce? (keeping in mind Dwarves of Durin increase 2 Constitution points). Maybe it's intentional or maybe it's not "or" but "and" or something similar.

Michele

Thu 21 Mar 2024, 13:39

Hi...

Since I play as a player I can't check it out much and I don't know if this is a mistake but in the Section Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost, on page 189:

And that's all. Is it not a bit scarce? (keeping in mind Dwarves of Durin increase 2 Constitution points). Maybe it's intentional or maybe it's not "or" but "and" or something similar.

P. 189, right under "Cultural Traits": "When you create a Dwarf character, you may choose the Dwarf of Nogrod and Belegost as an alternative to the subcultures of the Dwarves of Durin’s Folk in The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying."
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

decanox

Thu 21 Mar 2024, 14:08

Hi...

P. 189, right under "Cultural Traits": "When you create a Dwarf character, you may choose the Dwarf of Nogrod and Belegost as an alternative to the subcultures of the Dwarves of Durin’s Folk in The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying."
I had read it. And, since it's an alternative, I understand you use the "Ability Score Increase" from this section instead of the Dwarves of Durin's Folk section (in other words, you don't add both)... And only one point of Strength OR Intelligence feels scarce (maybe it's "and", maybe it's missed something or maybe it's only one point).

EDIT: Ok, I have checked the rulebook and it's clear. It's a subculture so, it's added to the initial score. Thanks for the clarification.

Redcoat

Fri 22 Mar 2024, 03:41

I realize this isn't the kind of feedback you are looking for, but I think that the references to Mithril need some more consistency, or more explanation.
on p14 you have said:
"Since the fall of Moria, no more Mithril has been mined, except by the Orcs."
Then on p168:
"The Orcs dare not dig for Mithril..."
Are orcs capable of refining Mithril ore? Some of your dwarven NPC's in the book are having a difficult time with that so it would be difficult to imagine an orc succeeding at it.
There is a good deal about sending it as tribute to Gundabad or the Necromancer, but I'm not sure why that would be the case. I have never read an instance of an Orc or Goblin using mithril and I'm not sure they would have a use for it, except to keep dwarves from having it.
All that is just to say that you are welcome to your own interpretation of these things, but I think you need to justify it a little better.

Michele

Fri 22 Mar 2024, 13:08

I realize this isn't the kind of feedback you are looking for, but I think that the references to Mithril need some more consistency, or more explanation.
on p14 you have said:
"Since the fall of Moria, no more Mithril has been mined, except by the Orcs."
Then on p168:
"The Orcs dare not dig for Mithril..."
Are orcs capable of refining Mithril ore? Some of your dwarven NPC's in the book are having a difficult time with that so it would be difficult to imagine an orc succeeding at it.
There is a good deal about sending it as tribute to Gundabad or the Necromancer, but I'm not sure why that would be the case. I have never read an instance of an Orc or Goblin using mithril and I'm not sure they would have a use for it, except to keep dwarves from having it.
All that is just to say that you are welcome to your own interpretation of these things, but I think you need to justify it a little better.

On p. 185, under True Mithril, this is explained clearly: "The Dwarves learned a way to process native Mithril into ‘true’ Mithril, preserving the metal’s beauty while making it much stronger. The art of this metalcraft is not entirely lost — the Dwarves still remember how to do it, but they lack access to a supply of native Mithril.
The technique was also preserved — or rediscovered — in the forges of Mordor, and now Sauron’s smiths take the native Mithril smuggled out of Moria and make it anew into true Mithril (or worse, Sullied Mithril).
While the smelters and forges needed to make true Mithril still exist in Moria, none of the Orcs know the secret techniques required."

Interpreting the author's intentions, it thus seems clear that the Orcs are unable to refine Mithril beyond its 'native' form, but instead use it as a valuable tribute to Mordor (as is hinted at in various passages), where Sauron can turn it into True or Sullied Mithril, or to Mount Gundabad, where Gorgol can use it in turn as a tribute to Mordor (or, arguably, for other purposes, for example to bribe evil men and other creatures interested in the precious metal).

Perhaps the reason for the confusion only lies in that one sentence on p. 168 about Orcs not daring to dig it, but it may refer only to the Mithril's veins in the Den of Forgotten Stars, since "The Orcs dare not risk traversing the lowest portions of the mines, especially not the veins under Caradhras where Durin’s Bane dwells. However, they have reopened the older iron mines for their own purposes." (The Mines, p. 168).
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Lormin

Sun 24 Mar 2024, 21:47

Having read both the TOR and the 5e versions, the general feeling is that the 5e was quickly adapted from TOR without much care or love.

Lot of inconsistencies when it comes to roll tables. A lot of them are still d12, some of them were rightfully converted to D20,then one table heading still indicate D12, but the results are D20 (p. 37).

A lot of artifacts from the TOR system all around, for example p. 29 references recovering "Hope", p. 49 references "Success die"

CaptHaddock

Tue 26 Mar 2024, 13:52

Apologies - just missed the deadline for the TOR version feedback - page 126, description of Spirits of Shadow, "dessicated" should be spelt "desiccated".
Blistering barnacles!

andrew_ryan

Tue 26 Mar 2024, 16:50

I missed the TOR cut off so here are my notes from that edition.
p.82 I believe it should be "barring the eastern entrance to Moria..."
P. 129 Type kerning seems to be off on "hobbits"
p.133 "no openings leadING to other..."
p. 138 add a descriptive feat to Telchar's name - "...since Telchar of Nogrod, forger of the sword Narsil, in the First Age."
p. 150 use "coal" instead of "coke." Generally in American English "coke" only refers to the drink.
p. 153 should be "here is where Dwarven captains met..."
p.177 Companies should not be capitalized
p. 180 should be "not to BE found"