Magnus Seter

Re: Question for writers/designers of DoD. Why must all dragons be evil in dragonbane? Why can’t there also be good drag

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 00:31

The descriptions of dragons in Dragobane harkens back to the old writings in the earliest versions of the game. Big, scaly, tresure loving, cunning, ruthless. That sort of thing. I always think of Smaug when I read the old texts. But the most famous of the dragons in the old lore of Drakar och Demoner is Blatifagus, a decrepit dragon with his tail end chopped off, with a penchant for playing chess. So there is precedent for dragons with more style and substance.

And as has been said earlier in the thread, dragons are not evil per se. Not even demons are evil, really. They have descriptors that are commonly associated with "evil", but "Good vs Evil" is something that Free League wants to step away from in their games, instead leaning towards giving adversaries motives that might be beneficial for the PCs or detrimental to the PCs health. Dragons and demons are creatures of myth and magic and we mortals do not really understand them. What we see as wanton destruction might have a greater purpose, even if we ants are trampled under the dragon's metaphorical boots.

I'd say that for any dragon to be a centerpiece of an adventure, it surely would be best for that dragon to be fleshed out, given some more tangible goals that interface with the adventure and the player characters' goals. And not always evil, just ... unfathomable. Scheming over centuries. Having plans that make no sense to us, that play out over one hundred years.

A dragon might have need of assistance against a demon and thus will lend aid to the PCs, requesting only a favour in return. Or it might be a guardian of an ancient library of magic tomes, which it will only share with those who brings it a new tome for the collection. Or it might be a gold-hungry hoarder squatting in a dwarven city out of spite, longing for the olden times.

It's very much up to the Gamemaster to decide. And for the adventure writers to experiment with, of course.

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Re: Question for writers/designers of DoD. Why must all dragons be evil in dragonbane? Why can’t there also be good drag

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 11:09

The descriptions of dragons in Dragobane harkens back to the old writings in the earliest versions of the game. Big, scaly, tresure loving, cunning, ruthless. That sort of thing. I always think of Smaug when I read the old texts. But the most famous of the dragons in the old lore of Drakar och Demoner is Blatifagus, a decrepit dragon with his tail end chopped off, with a penchant for playing chess. So there is precedent for dragons with more style and substance.

And as has been said earlier in the thread, dragons are not evil per se. Not even demons are evil, really. They have descriptors that are commonly associated with "evil", but "Good vs Evil" is something that Free League wants to step away from in their games, instead leaning towards giving adversaries motives that might be beneficial for the PCs or detrimental to the PCs health. Dragons and demons are creatures of myth and magic and we mortals do not really understand them. What we see as wanton destruction might have a greater purpose, even if we ants are trampled under the dragon's metaphorical boots.

I'd say that for any dragon to be a centerpiece of an adventure, it surely would be best for that dragon to be fleshed out, given some more tangible goals that interface with the adventure and the player characters' goals. And not always evil, just ... unfathomable. Scheming over centuries. Having plans that make no sense to us, that play out over one hundred years.

A dragon might have need of assistance against a demon and thus will lend aid to the PCs, requesting only a favour in return. Or it might be a guardian of an ancient library of magic tomes, which it will only share with those who brings it a new tome for the collection. Or it might be a gold-hungry hoarder squatting in a dwarven city out of spite, longing for the olden times.

It's very much up to the Gamemaster to decide. And for the adventure writers to experiment with, of course.
If dragons aren’t all evil then why describe them as such?

The way dragons are written in core rules makes it more likely for GMs to run dragons as 2 dimensional who’s only purpose is to be slain

And less likely for Gms to allow for a character who was tutored or raised by a dragon

While this is very much possible in literal any other ttrpg. In PF2e, I have a magus who was taught magic by a bronze dragon

I don’t understand why dragons can’t vary

Or why dragons (or giants for that matter) can’t be persuaded

Orcs and goblins can be persuaded but dragons can’t? It’s fucking stupid
I love dragons!

Short Fey

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 14:53

If you feel so strongly about it, then maybe this is not the game for you? Just because you can do stuff like that in other fantasy ttrpgs dos'nt that mean that that applies to every fantasy ttrpgs that just happens to have dragons. There is clearly better options for you if you want games that allows you to interact with dragons. (Could recomnend Ryuutama for instance).

And while i know "dragon magic" was a thing in older edditions, dragonbane have never been a high fantasy setting akin to pathfinder or dnd, but had more of a sword and sorcery theme. The characters you play are much more average people who for one reason or another picked up a weapon and said "you know what? Being an adventurer would be neat!", rather than the more fantastical options that say parhfinder allows.
Beware the fey!

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:37

If you feel so strongly about it, then maybe this is not the game for you? Just because you can do stuff like that in other fantasy ttrpgs dos'nt that mean that that applies to every fantasy ttrpgs that just happens to have dragons. There is clearly better options for you if you want games that allows you to interact with dragons. (Could recomnend Ryuutama for instance).

And while i know "dragon magic" was a thing in older edditions, dragonbane have never been a high fantasy setting akin to pathfinder or dnd, but had more of a sword and sorcery theme. The characters you play are much more average people who for one reason or another picked up a weapon and said "you know what? Being an adventurer would be neat!", rather than the more fantastical options that say parhfinder allows.
Dragon magic might not have a dedicated class but you could just pick mage and flavor it as draconic magic?

And I wish Dragonbane would be more open and allow for numerous types of settings

Ffs why are dragons “immune” to persuasion?

Sure a feral minded beast like a giant spider is immune to persuasion

But why a dragon? They can talk, be talked to and are intelligent
I love dragons!

Byrax

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:38

"If dragons aren’t all evil then why describe them as such?
The way dragons are written in core rules makes it more likely for GMs to run dragons as 2 dimensional who’s only purpose is to be slain "
  • Nope, they are written as very eloquent and prone to flattery, not evil as such - this opens up for interactons with players
"Or why dragons (or giants for that matter) can’t be persuaded "
  • See above, and there are examples in the campaign regarding giants being possible to persuade...
So, as you see, not at all "fucking stupid"!
Last edited by Byrax on Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:38

None of the designers have answered yet
I love dragons!

Byrax

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:39

Well, Magnus Seter wrote the Bestiary book?

PS just talk with your GM that you would like dragons to be as you prefer them. I am sure you will work it out to fit your game. No rules set can cover everything a player can think of. I might prefer dragons to be horrendeus monsters, that only attacks and attacks and burns the world relentless - no fairy tale dragons for me. Why is that not the only way to depict dragons in Dragonbane?

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:55

"If dragons aren’t all evil then why describe them as such?
The way dragons are written in core rules makes it more likely for GMs to run dragons as 2 dimensional who’s only purpose is to be slain "
  • Nope, they are written as very eloquent and prone to flattery, not evil as such - this opens up for interactons with players
"Or why dragons (or giants for that matter) can’t be persuaded "
  • See above, and there are examples in the campaign regarding giants being possible to persuade...
So, as you see, not at all "fucking stupid"!
They aren’t written as eloquent and prone to flattery. If they were that’d be fine

But their described as being “vicious” and the people they interact with are described as “victims”
I love dragons!

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 17:56

Well, Magnus Seter wrote the Bestiary book?

PS just talk with your GM that you would like dragons to be as you prefer them. I am sure you will work it out to fit your game. No rules set can cover everything a player can think of. I might prefer dragons to be horrendeus monsters, that only attacks and attacks and burns the world relentless - no fairy tale dragons for me. Why is that not the only way to depict dragons in Dragonbane?

Oh didn’t realize he was the one who wrote the bestiary book

Though I’m more concerned with what the core rules describes dragons as
I love dragons!

CaptainRelyk
Topic Author

Fri 24 Nov 2023, 18:04

Alright. So as the writer of the bestiary, I have a genuine question

Why not write dragons to be setting neutral? Why not make them not immune to persuasion but rather state the GM can choose to make them immune depending on the setting?

Shouldn’t your game aim to be setting neutral?

What about a setting similair to World of Warcraft? Alexstrayza isn’t a character I’d regard as immune to persuasion

But that’s an example. Settings vary widely

I don’t want to play “dragon slaying simulator”

If I am to slay a dragon, I want them to be an actual character and be a villain who is evil because of how the world shaped them

I was talking with someone on discord and they put it best when they said along the lines of “situational evil will always be better then categorical evil”

That is to say, dragons aren’t born evil and a villainous dragon is created from their environment not because it’s their “nature” or they were born that way. Like a once kind hearted and loving dragon whose children were killed by glory seeking devein slayers and that event made them despise all humanoid creatures, leading to them committing evil acts

Or to go back to WoW, maybe a dragon is evil because their attempts to save the world drove them insane and made them susceptible to corruption by elder gods (Deathwing)
I love dragons!