DruidGamer
Topic Author

Revised Feral Effects chart 2nd printing

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 00:48

Just got the revised 2nd printing pdf from Drivethru (key points: reduced effect duration & eliminated chance of developing new Animal Power).

My question is: How do Mutant Animals gain new powers after the 2 they start with (if they even can now)?

Fenhorn

Re: Revised Feral Effects chart 2nd printing

Fri 22 Jan 2021, 01:46

They did the same for Mutant: Hindenburg. The reason Tomas said for it that as you said, the 'mishap' effects are not so extreme anymore and animals shouldn't "mutate" change anymore unless they are tainted (or something in those lines). So animals are more stable now, they don't all of a sudden get claws and they don't go feral for so long either.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mordante

Sun 24 Jan 2021, 12:34

Any chance of an errata being put up on the forum listing the changes in 2nd edition?

DruidGamer
Topic Author

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 05:52

So I’m guessing either Mutant Animals can learn new Powers by buying them with xp or they’re just stuck with the initial 2 they start with (not counting Tainted/mutations) ... think I’m going to rule they can spend xp to “better learn how to use their natural traits”.

Example: yes, Biff the Bison has always had horns but NOW you know how to effectively use them in combat.

DruidGamer
Topic Author

Sun 07 Feb 2021, 16:54

Does anyone think it’s fair/balanced for Mutant Animals to be able to ‘activate’ new Powers? I’m debating on setting the cost at 5xp, 10xp or a variable amount of xp based on how many active Powers they already have, kind of the way we’ve set Attributes & Programs (for reference I’ve included a copy of our table’s XP awards & costs updated to allow Mutant Animals to acquire new ‘active Powers’ since to change to the Feral Effects table).

XP will be awarded at each session’s wrap up. Everyone gets 1xp just for still being there. Additional xp is awarded for every valid ‘yes’ to the following questions:
[] Did you advance/promote The Ark in some way?
[] Did you finish an Ark Project?
[] Did you create something of real value?
[] Did you make a significant discovery?
[] Did you risk/sacrifice something of real value? (individual xp only)
[] Did you get the better of a rival? (individual xp only)
[] Did you make progress on your personal goal? (individual xp only)

XP Costs:
Raise an Attribute - costs (5 x new Attribute rating)xp, can’t exceed maximum.
Raise a Skill rating - costs 5xp, can’t exceed rating 5.
Activate a new Power - costs 5xp.
Gain a new Talent - costs 5xp.
Raise a Program rating - costs (5 x new Program rating)xp, can’t exceed rating 5.
Gain a new Secondary Function - 5xp.

Shads

Sun 07 Feb 2021, 21:15

They did the same for Mutant: Hindenburg. The reason Tomas said for it that as you said, the 'mishap' effects are not so extreme anymore and animals shouldn't "mutate" change anymore unless they are tainted (or something in those lines). So animals are more stable now, they don't all of a sudden get claws and they don't go feral for so long either.
Where was this being said?
I cant seem to find it in the Swedish section, also I dont mean to be aggressive, I kinda just would like to jump in to that discussion as well :3

MYZ system already have a problem of feeling " powerful" most battles are settled with numbers, and you can not raise attributes, and only skills to 5, your only way to "improve" is with abilities, and talents. (and raising skills)

((Note : I am well aware this is not Dnd, and one should not look at MYZ as leveling up, in the same regard))

and though that is a lot its not very..flashy.
I personally thought that Mutated folk, lost an Attribute per mutation, due to the mutations being so powerful.
Mutated Animals did not, cause though thier powers where empowering, they had more limited usage than mutations, and it felt that mutations where more powerful in general than the animalistic abilities.

(For example, Predator can only be used to increase damage once you hit a person, while Cryokenisis can be used to.
Cause damage.
Freeze things and people.
Freeze water to walk on,
etc etc.

now i of course purposefully used those to extreme examples just to make the point, but ya get the jizzt

I myself was pretty confident that it was a Missprint in Hindenburg, cause removing this aspect would be removing the biggest feeling of "progress" they can make as an animal.
I also felt it was more thematically correct that non-mutated humans where the only ones who did not get more powerful abilities (or could switch it up like robots)

All this said, i can also see it as a balance issue.
If Mutated/tainted people lose an Attribute per mutation up to the max of 4.
then it would feel a bit "cheap" that Animals also could have up to 4 abilities, but without losing any attribute points, and even though they are in general weaker (Might not be the case in Hindenburg) I could certainly understand why mutated humans would look at the animals and go.

"what, they can have equal amount of abilities, but they dont lose attributes?, that is unfair"

its kind a douche to figure out If i am honest.

Fenhorn

Sun 07 Feb 2021, 21:55

That was a not a discussion, it was a clarification that was made during the beta-period for Mutant: Hindenburg. I don't personally own the new English Genlab Alpha so I haven't seen the table or the text, but after what I hear they have made the same adjustment that they did in Hindenburg.

If you don't like it, just add that you gain an animal power on mishap #1 as the old mishap table.

Shads

Mon 08 Feb 2021, 20:05

ah, well just wanted to see the clarification ^^.
I quite enjoy discussing with the community about these things though, as doing so might bring up points one would not think of oneself such as balancing etc.
its an easy homebrew fix, but as said, i quite enjoy talking about all things Mutant so ^^:

Apologies if i came of and stand-offish, as it was certainly not my intent.
Interesting that they do include revisions on re-stocks though! if nothing else great initiative!

Fenhorn

Mon 08 Feb 2021, 20:54

ah, well just wanted to see the clarification .
Sadly I have tried to look for it but since it was such a long time ago and also during the beta-period, I can't find it again. I do remember that I reported that the table was missing the information on how to gain animal powers, but Tomas said that it was intentional. An annoying part of this story is that the text on p.67 stills refers to that you can gain new animal powers. They should have corrected that. I would love to see the English Genlab to see if they have the same mistake there.