Henke
Topic Author

Alien take on MYZ-engine

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 00:53

What is your hopes for the MYZ-engine in Alien RPG ? What features should be added and what could the currency (Coriolis darkness points or MYZ mutation points) be used to activate?
I skuggan av Trakorien - Bloggkrönika från Svavelvinter
Förbjuden Zon - Bloggkrönika från Version Noll
Spelledarens Pod - Av spelledare, för spelledare, om spelledare, samt ett och annat spelmöte

Fenhorn

Re: Alien take on MYZ-engine

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 01:41

Perhaps they go for how they do it in Tales - there is no points to gain, but you get a "condition" (like scared)if you push, or something like that (I don't own Tales, so this is based what I have heard about how it works in Tales). Dark points wouldn't makes any sense with the alien theme (and that would be me talking about dark points without me having Coriolis).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Eldhierta

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 14:34

Perhaps they go for how they do it in Tales - there is no points to gain, but you get a "condition" (like scared)if you push, or something like that (I don't own Tales, so this is based what I have heard about how it works in Tales). Dark points wouldn't makes any sense with the alien theme (and that would be me talking about dark points without me having Coriolis).

I think the Tales-approach makes the most sense of those two. There is no malevolent supernatural force that would merit the use of Dark Points. I think conditions would be fun and add to the narrative in a meaningful way. It also breathes life into the PCs, pushing the players to act according to the situation and their role in the narrative.

Rymdhamster

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 14:52

Maybe there could be some some sort of incerase of threat leval. Like, the more you push, the greater the chance of a xenoattack or something. 

Althought that might cause one heck of a spiral of death. 

Eldhierta

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 21:03

Maybe there could be some some sort of incerase of threat leval. Like, the more you push, the greater the chance of a xenoattack or something. 

Althought that might cause one heck of a spiral of death. 

Enter the scenario where all the PCs have been infested by facehuggers and each pushed roll carries the risk of the little xenomorph buggers bursting out through their ribcages =D

Peter

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 00:18

Spiral of death sounds appropriate for the cinematic version...
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Valyar

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 09:27

What is this MYZ-engine?  I play Coriolis & Forbidden Lands and I presume they take from MYZ the framework of d6 and 6 only as success?

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 11:28

Correct.

You can learn more about the ALIEN adaptation of the Year Zero Engine in the latest episode of the Coriolis Effect podcast: https://www.effektpodcast.org/episodes/ ... you-scream
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 12:50

Gillar stress-mekanismen. Så passande. Tänkte direkt på Hudson, sen nämndes han i podden.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Deep_Impact

Tue 30 Apr 2019, 10:16

I wrote a German summary of the interview and translated back would be something like this:

Setting
·         They are working for six months on the rules and setting. Fria Ligan also has the permission to make the events and maps canonical.
·         Even from works, like the original script of William Gibson and other books.
·         different political power blocs
·         More dangers than just xenomorphs
·         no predators!

The system distinguishes between Cinematic OneShots and a campaign mode.
Cinematics
·         Pregen characters
·         Also with PvP elements
·         Division into 3 acts
·         Characters get different agendas per act
Campaign mode
·         Free Sandboxing
·         3 campaign style: space truckers, marines, colonists
·         8 archetypes inspired by the movies (Newt-, Burke-, Ripley-like characters possible)
·         Year 2183 / Alien 1-3
Hybrid Form
·         One-Shots, which influence further Oneshots
·         Plotpoint-like (IF X THEN A ELSE THEN B)
·         usually not the same characters

New Stress Mechanics

·         central push mechanic
·         Pushing = generates stress dice, but also by auto fire, sight of horrific beings or panic of others (chain reaction)
·         Stress dice = more focus and more success, but chance of panic
·         Panic table contains reactions from the movies, such as freeze or berserk

New stealth mechanics to simulate the avoidance of an encounter and the sneaking over "the ship". Feeling of paranoia as focus.

Publication

·         no Kickstarter, only preorder:
·         When to preorder: Not far future
·         Preorder provides instant access to the 160-pages-Quickstarter
·         Full Release: November
·         Translations possible and expected