Dain
Topic Author

Surprise and ranged attacks

Thu 17 Jan 2019, 00:17

Hi,
I'm new at Symbaroum and would like to get your input about these 2 points. How do handle them?

Surprise in melee combat:
I get that we have to roll a (Discreet <-- Vigilant) to get an advantage
But then what ? Do we just roll a regular attack with +2 bonus against Defense ? Sounds pretty weak considering the attacker succeeded to sneak oout behind his target.
More, if the attacker has a knife and wants to gut the target, d6 damage+d4 isn't much to be able to kill him.
Do I miss something ?

At least, after succeeding sneaking out I would allow to bypass the armor.
I would think of rolling (Accurate <-- Quick or Vigilant) to see if the attack is successful, allowing the target a last opportunity to avoid being killed.
If successful, the target would be at the mercy of his opponent. It'll be left to him to choose to take his life or not, regardless of the weapon used.

Ranged attacks:
There isn't much details about dealing with this sort of attack.
It seems clear that we can't parry arrows, except with special abilities. If so, Defense can't be used, right ? But then what the point of having a shield, usually designed for that specific protection?
Do you just roll under Accurate then ? Without modification ?

I would think of allowing to use Defense only if the target has a shield (and If Defense gives no help, I'd not take it into account), or a specific Talent. If not, I would just roll under Accurate, with no bonus/ malus.
If the target is unaware of the attacker, I would give an advantage (+2 bonus/ +1d4 dammage)
What do you think?

Fred

Dain
Topic Author

Re: Surprise and ranged attacks

Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:06

After discussing the matter on other boards, here what I came with. It kind of suits me well.

Ranged attacks:
Attacking any target that is aware of the attack: Roll under Precise <-- Defense if the opponent wears a shield. Since shields offer partial cover, it's giving him an advantage (extra +2 to defense). We can assume that bigger shields would grant a double advantage. Full cover prevents obviously attacks to occur.
Attacking any target unaware of the attack: Roll under Precise. Attacker get an advantage (+2 bonus +1d4 damage)
In any case, maluses to Defense, as Ogre's Robust talent, are taken into account for calculating the difficulty.
Ex:
An ogre is the target of a Player's character, and unaware of his incoming attack.
The character will have to roll under Precise 13. Unspotted, he gets an advantage (+2). The big size of the Ogre grants him an extra bonus of +3 (Robust Adept). With that many bonuses, the player decides to shoot in the head (-5, +1d6 damage, 1d4 stun turn). The final roll will be under 13. If successful, the damage will be 1d8 (bow) + 1d4 (advantage) +1d6 (Head). Without helmet, the ogre will only have Robust to withstand the damage.

Foe awareness:
At the time of calculating the initiative, roll Vigilant in order to see all opponent actions. Tacticient Talent grants +5 bonus.
If succeeded, character is aware of everyone action.
If failed, character has blind sides. GM decides which foes' actions aren't identified. That usually means they can't see archers' attacks coming.

Prone opponent:
While they are on their back, usually after overtaking the pain threshold, armors are becoming loose and show weaknesses. Any attack on a prone opponent ignore armor's protection.

Backstabbing:
Roll a Discreet <-- Vigilant. This count as the attack, offering possible criticals.
If the situation is well prepared, the roll gets an advanatge (+2 bonus and +1d4 damage)
Armor protection is ignored depending of the attack (ie cutthroating the damn man)