Calagnar
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 07:36

Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 02:33

I know you have a few different names for the same class in the Alpha. That is to be expected. I would like to start a discussion on what they will be named in the final draft. Personally I like the idea of using more unique names for the game.

Raiders & Rogues in a cursed world. There are no heroes here.
My list looks like this.
Druid = Druid
Fighter = Warrior (Warrior is more fitting they can do more then fight. Warrior is practitioner of the art of war. Not just some fodder for the grinder. This is just personal opinion however. I spent a very long time in martial arts, and in the army. I would think of my self as a warrior but never as a fighter.)
Minstrel = Minstrel (I think this is so unique. This is one of my favorite class names.)
Peddler = Peddler (see Minstrel)
Ranger/Hunter = Hunter (Ranger reminds me to much of a hero. There are no heroes in the forbidden lands. There are raiders and rogues.)
Rider = Horse Soldier, or something else. (I just dislike the name Rider. It's very bland and not inspiring to me.  And their is this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw )
Rogue = Rogue (What can I say a cutpurse is a classic.)
Spellbinder/Sorcerer = Spellbinder (This is the main reason I wanted to get the game. The intro video The Spellbinder Zygofer. Now I want to play a spellbinder not a sorcerer.)

This is just my suggestions.  
 
User avatar
Erzaad
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 22:54
Location: Ohio

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 04:52

I mostly agree with you, but I'd change the following:

Druid = Shaman (I've never liked "druid" in any RPG. It's always too much of a "tree-hugger" trope. Shaman has a much cooler flavor and this is the change I'd argue strongly for.)
Rider = Cavalier (EDIT: I thought of something better.)
Rogue = Scoundrel (Just trying to do something different from D&D)
Sorcerer = Magus (Similar meaning, sounds cooler IMO)
 
User avatar
9littlebees
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2017, 14:22
Location: Rural Germany
Contact:

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 07:31

I like and agree with Calagnar's suggestions, but would change Horse Soldier to Cavalier as per Erzaad's suggestion.
I'm an English game designer working on Nordsaga, a career-focused dark Viking game, powered by the Year Zero engine: https://9littlebees.com
 
User avatar
Brior
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 10:59

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 08:40

9littlebees wrote:
I like and agree with Calagnar's suggestions, but would change Horse Soldier to Cavalier as per Erzaad's suggestion.

Cavalier sounds too French to me ( no offence dear French speakers – you have a beautiful language, it's just not in line with the setting here in my opinion)
How about just horseman? (and horsewoman where applicable)
 
User avatar
King_Kull
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed 22 Feb 2017, 16:11

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 09:20

Brior wrote:
9littlebees wrote:
I like and agree with Calagnar's suggestions, but would change Horse Soldier to Cavalier as per Erzaad's suggestion.

Cavalier sounds too French to me ( no offence dear French speakers – you have a beautiful language, it's just not in line with the setting here in my opinion)
How about just horseman? (and horsewoman where applicable)


+1 for Horseman
Otherwise I think the names are okay but really like to see spellbinder in the game.
Shaman is a tribal thing for me, perhaps for Orcs or Wolfkin but Druid is better.
Ok Scoundrel is nice.
I am king!
 
User avatar
9littlebees
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2017, 14:22
Location: Rural Germany
Contact:

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:31

I have women in all 3 groups I play with, and there will be some inevitable (slightly sarcastic, but still serious) comments like "so if I want to play a Horseman, my player can't be a woman?" We had this in WFRP, with 2 female players rolling the Coachman and Militiaman.

It might sound stupid to some, but it's a valid point. If the Druid was changed to Wise Woman, I suspect most men would be up in arms.

Can we maybe keep the Profession names gender neutral, in the interests of inclusivity?

In my own hack, which is a career-based game like WFRP, this has been a challenge to work around, as I try to create 40 basic careers which sound gender-neutral, yet still good. So Fisherman becomes Fisher, Wise Woman becomes Hedgewise, etc.

So while I do really like Horseman as a good alternative, I think it should be excluded.
I'm an English game designer working on Nordsaga, a career-focused dark Viking game, powered by the Year Zero engine: https://9littlebees.com
 
User avatar
Brior
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat 09 Apr 2011, 10:59

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:47

9littlebees wrote:
I have women in all 3 groups I play with, and there will be some inevitable (slightly sarcastic, but still serious) comments like "so if I want to play a Horseman, my player can't be a woman?" We had this in WFRP, with 2 female players rolling the Coachman and Militiaman.

It might sound stupid to some, but it's a valid point. If the Druid was changed to Wise Woman, I suspect most men would be up in arms.

Can we maybe keep the Profession names gender neutral, in the interests of inclusivity?

I assume you didn't notice that I specifically said ”horsewoman where applicable”? Indeed most horsepeople I know IRL are women.

Edit: I also assume that several of the professions will have gender specific names, like huntress, sorceress or whatever. Don't really see an issue here.
 
User avatar
9littlebees
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2017, 14:22
Location: Rural Germany
Contact:

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:16

Brior wrote:
I assume you didn't notice that I specifically said ”horsewoman where applicable”? Indeed most horsepeople I know IRL are women.

Edit: I also assume that several of the professions will have gender specific names, like huntress, sorceress or whatever. Don't really see an issue here.

Ah yes, I missed that (glaringly obvious now). As long as a mention is made to this in the text, it should be fine for the majority of our female gaming friends.
I'm an English game designer working on Nordsaga, a career-focused dark Viking game, powered by the Year Zero engine: https://9littlebees.com
 
The1TrueFredrix
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:36
Contact:

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 13:00

I prefer Rider, which leaves the possibility open of other riding-beasts being available, like (ahem) the Dragon on the cover...
The Coriolis Effect - a fan podcast about Fria Ligan's Zero Engine games, featuring discussion of the rules and ideas to expand the setting of the Third Horizon and well as Actual Play episodes. http://feeds.feedburner.com/fictionsuit/tCE
 
User avatar
King_Kull
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed 22 Feb 2017, 16:11

Re: Class Names

Fri 09 Feb 2018, 13:00

The1TrueFredrix wrote:
I prefer Rider, which leaves the possibility open of other riding-beasts being available, like (ahem) the Dragon on the cover...

Makes sense :)
I am king!
GZIP: Off