Diesel_dejavu
Topic Author

Dice

Tue 06 Feb 2018, 18:42

What are the colors used for each of the different types of dice (base, skill, gear)?

Fenhorn

Re: Dice

Tue 06 Feb 2018, 18:47

A set includes 4 x Base Dice (white), 3 x Skill Dice (maroon), 2 x Weapon/Gear Dice (black) and 3 (d8, d10, d12) Artefact Dice (have no idea of colour, perhaps black).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fragpuss

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 13:36

A thought occurred to me about the dice this morning. As currently constituted the dice set might work for starting characters, but with it being possible for characters to have a stat value of 6 depending on kin and profession and a large number of talents that (please, please FL for the love of all that is holy change this!) add extra dice to the skill pool, it's rapidly going to be shown up as inadequate.If you've got a skill of 5, but only 3 dice then you need to roll 2 of them twice, remembering what you rolled on the first 3 in case you need to push. Sure you can pad it out with other dice, but it slightly defeats the object of having cool bespoke dice for the game.

I've ordered 2 sets anyway and I was going to buy a bunch of blank dice and a metallic marker to make a couple of player sets, but even a second set doesn't fully solve the problem - you'd have 8 base dice (more than you'd ever need according to RAW) and only 6 skill dice (fewer than the possible maximum you'd need - skill 5 + tier 3 talent).

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap the base and skill dice? i.e. have 4 skill dice and 3 base dice per set? You'd still need 2 sets, but it would at least cover pretty much every eventuality (unless the GM starts handing out situational skill bonuses).

Thoughts?

9littlebees

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 13:57

Yep, I agree that the numbers of official dice don't really make sense. Your solution feels spot on to me, with the small exception that you're still left with two sets of artifact dice, when you wouldn't ever need two sets.
Last edited by 9littlebees on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Eldhierta

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 13:57

A thought occurred to me about the dice this morning. As currently constituted the dice set might work for starting characters, but with it being possible for characters to have a stat value of 6 depending on kin and profession and a large number of talents that (please, please FL for the love of all that is holy change this!) add extra dice to the skill pool, it's rapidly going to be shown up as inadequate.If you've got a skill of 5, but only 3 dice then you need to roll 2 of them twice, remembering what you rolled on the first 3 in case you need to push. Sure you can pad it out with other dice, but it slightly defeats the object of having cool bespoke dice for the game.

I've ordered 2 sets anyway and I was going to buy a bunch of blank dice and a metallic marker to make a couple of player sets, but even a second set doesn't fully solve the problem - you'd have 8 base dice (more than you'd ever need according to RAW) and only 6 skill dice (fewer than the possible maximum you'd need - skill 5 + tier 3 talent).

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap the base and skill dice? i.e. have 4 skill dice and 3 base dice per set? You'd still need 2 sets, but it would at least cover pretty much every eventuality (unless the GM starts handing out situational skill bonuses).

Thoughts?
+1 on this. In worst case scenario I'll pad out my dicepool with MY:0-dice since I have a buttload of those from all the kickstarters. But a better configuration of the dice-pack would be preferable.

Kalle_Katulu

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 14:49

I think an dice app from Fria Ligan would be nice too.
Like the one Fantasy Flight Games made for their Star Wars and Genesys rpg. 

9littlebees

Sat 10 Feb 2018, 15:01

I think an dice app from Fria Ligan would be nice too.
Like the one Fantasy Flight Games made for their Star Wars and Genesys rpg.
There's a really good Android one for Mutant Year Zero, so maybe we'll see one for Forbidden Lands, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mut6&hl=en
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

King_Kull

Sun 11 Feb 2018, 04:46

No app! Dice, I want real dice :)
I am king!

Fragpuss

Sun 11 Feb 2018, 22:30

An app would be useful, but crawling around under the table on a sticky community centre carpet trying to track down escaping dice is a key part of the old-school role-playing experience  :lol:

King_Kull

Mon 12 Feb 2018, 02:34

An app would be useful, but crawling around under the table on a sticky community centre carpet trying to track down escaping dice is a key part of the old-school role-playing experience  :lol:
Quite right, quite right! :lol:
I am king!