The1TrueFredrix

Re: Open Game License info

Sat 22 Sep 2018, 22:13

2... For example, would you release any Coriolis PDF templates for people to use to make Coriolis expansions that they can sell under the OGL, or will people have to create their own assets if they want to sell their expansion?
I think we know the OGL won’t allow people to produce and sell Coriolis products, as that IP is not theirs to licence. I think the same is true for Mutant and Tales from the Loop. I think Forbidden Lands is the only setting IP they own outright and can licence. Of course, we are free to do stuff with own settings, like your Nordsaga. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

9littlebees
Topic Author

Sun 23 Sep 2018, 01:47

Well, I just had a chat with Nils & Kosta about this before we started recording our Coriolis interview tonight, and it seems like they will allow expansions using some of the setting material, like factions and locations. But it would be very much regulated with how that would have to be done to navigate the tricky IP waters. That discussion was also very unofficial, so we'll just have to wait to find out.

Which means it's up to Tomas to give us an official reply on how it will be handled... ;-)
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 27 Sep 2018, 14:26

Hi!

Unfortunately, products released under the OGL and sold cannot be modules for licensed games like Coriolis, MYZ and Tales from the Loop. Anything released to these titles must be vetted by the license owners and they have a right to royalties on such products, so it will not work with the OGL. For Forbidden Lands its easier as it's our own brand, but even there we need to manage how the game name and logo are used on products that we don't publish ourselves. We'll need to get back to you on that. Fan products that are shared for free and don't use the official logos are another matter, those are generally fine.

The purpose of the OGL is to let you create your own games using the Year Zero Engine, not to create modules for existing games.
Fria Ligan

kjetilkverndokken

Thu 04 Oct 2018, 15:31

So looking forward to this.

Worked on a fantasy setting since 2004 - but never found any good systems for it that have fitted with how magic etc worked (used a BRP version for a while). But Zero Engien fits perfectly.

Is there a long wait more for this?

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 04 Oct 2018, 18:09

Working on it right now. :)

It shouldn't be long, but we first need to get Forbidden Lands and Emissary Lost to backers. :)
Fria Ligan

Rymdhamster

Thu 04 Oct 2018, 21:03

Hi!

Unfortunately, products released under the OGL and sold cannot be modules for licensed games like Coriolis, MYZ and Tales from the Loop. Anything released to these titles must be vetted by the license owners and they have a right to royalties on such products, so it will not work with the OGL. 
Will this change now for Coriolis, in regards ro the upcomming merger? Or is that still complicated due to old vs new järnringen?

Tomas
Site Admin

Fri 05 Oct 2018, 07:58

Hi!

Unfortunately, products released under the OGL and sold cannot be modules for licensed games like Coriolis, MYZ and Tales from the Loop. Anything released to these titles must be vetted by the license owners and they have a right to royalties on such products, so it will not work with the OGL. 
Will this change now for Coriolis, in regards ro the upcomming merger? Or is that still complicated due to old vs new järnringen?
It doesn't really change it, as Coriolis is still a licensed game.
Fria Ligan

baylox

Mon 08 Oct 2018, 09:38

I think Tomas has mentioned it elsewhere, but they also mentioned in the latest pod that when the old Järnringen closed down, Paradox bought their IP - including Coriolis - so Fria Ligan (including the new Fria Ligan, with the guys from Järnringen) are still licensing it from Paradox, it doesn't belong to the Järnringen team at all anymore.
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Rymdhamster

Mon 08 Oct 2018, 12:24

I think Tomas has mentioned it elsewhere, but they also mentioned in the latest pod that when the old Järnringen closed down, Paradox bought their IP - including Coriolis - so Fria Ligan (including the new Fria Ligan, with the guys from Järnringen) are still licensing it from Paradox, it doesn't belong to the Järnringen team at all anymore.
Ah, that explains it! Thanks =)

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 08 Oct 2018, 13:47

I should add that it will probably be possible to publish scenarios that are compatible with Coriolis, MYZ, Tales etc under the OGL, and that take place in the same universe. You just cannot use the official logo on them - it needs to be clear that these are not official Free League products. 

We will clarify this in the actual OGL license text. :)
Fria Ligan