hperantunes
Topic Author

Druidic magic attracting demons

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 01:33

I can easily come up with an explanation for a young, inexperienced adept of Blood or Death magic fumbling a ritual and therefore opening a rift to another dimension and getting pulled over the other side by a demon (66 on the Magic Mishaps table).

However, I can't easily understand the same happening to a young elvenspring druid girl that was trying to cast Healing Hands for the first time in a meadow, surrounded by fawns and white rabbits.

What's the explanation druid masters have for such events? Has druidic magic always been this dangerous or is this sort of stuff something that started happening in Ravenland since Zygofer's rise to power?

Fenhorn

Re: Druidic magic attracting demons

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 01:42

I think that magic has become wild and dangerous due to Zygofer and/or three centuries of demonic blood mist.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

johnnii

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 10:49

On some level I agree it's pretty weird and so I would change it to that they become the target of a single or a pack of predatory animals.

On the other hand, not all demons are evil hellspawn or lovecraftian abominations. It's just a term for Outsider. (Spoiler: see the Demon fox encounter for an example)

Eldhierta

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 15:47

I can easily come up with an explanation for a young, inexperienced adept of Blood or Death magic fumbling a ritual and therefore opening a rift to another dimension and getting pulled over the other side by a demon (66 on the Magic Mishaps table).

However, I can't easily understand the same happening to a young elvenspring druid girl that was trying to cast Healing Hands for the first time in a meadow, surrounded by fawns and white rabbits.

What's the explanation druid masters have for such events? Has druidic magic always been this dangerous or is this sort of stuff something that started happening in Ravenland since Zygofer's rise to power?
I don't think that's the kind of druids FbL is about... check out the introduction to Raven's Purge where Merigall shows the land to the former prisoner.

They are custodians of the order of nature, rational professionals who take care to maintain balance, not bothering to mess with fawns and rabbits unless they are a serious danger to that balance. And in that case most likely to cull their number, not to pet and cuddle them.

All magic carries with it the risk of attracting demonic presences and that's nothing new. Merigall, known demonic entity, travelled the land long before Zygofer tore open the Nexus. Admittedly it is probably more risky now since the veil was torn, but magic energies have always attracted demonic beings, no matter if they are druidic or sorcerous in nature. If you mess with arcane energies to manipulate the world you just have to face the consequences.

hperantunes
Topic Author

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 19:21

All magic carries with it the risk of attracting demonic presences  and that's nothing new.
I'm not sure about that. The setting seems to imply that everything was jolly good among elves, dwarfs and the lesser kin before humans came along.

Dwarfs used their stonesinging to embiggen the world, elves used their nature magic (which was later passed on to the elvenspring and then spread to the other kin) to tend it and it's not really clear that these activities - including nature magic - carried the risk of spawning demons at the time.
Last edited by hperantunes on Tue 12 Feb 2019, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Eldhierta

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 19:36

All magic carries with it the risk of attracting demonic presences  and that's nothing new.
I'm not sure about that. The setting seems to imply that everything was jolly good among elves, dwarfs and the lesser races before humans came along.

Dwarfs used their stonesinging to embiggen the world, elves used their nature magic (which was later passed on to the elvenspring and then spread to the other kin) to tend it and it's not really clear that these activities - including nature magic - carried the risk of spawning demons at the time.
Different opinions, I guess. Might be that the opening of the Nexus exacerbated the issue, but to me the risk has always existed, maybe just not as acute as it is in the present.

Brior

Tue 12 Feb 2019, 19:51

I don't think that's the kind of druids FbL is about... check out the introduction to Raven's Purge where Merigall shows the land to the former prisoner.

They are custodians of the order of nature, rational professionals who take care to maintain balance, not bothering to mess with fawns and rabbits unless they are a serious danger to that balance. And in that case most likely to cull their number, not to pet and cuddle them.
This is indeed the way I pictured the FL druids. However, all druids don't need to have the same attitude towards nature and it's of course fine if somebody prefers the cuddly version. Ideally both types might coexist and have issues with each other.