Sherman
Topic Author

Pronunciation Guide?

Thu 07 Feb 2019, 07:37

Can anyone help with how names are supposed to be pronounced in this game? I'm not sure what's been translated into English, or what has a Swedish flare, or what. My assumption is always soft vowels, but I'm unsure on a few. Stanengist, Merigall, Zytera, and Zertorme in particular are names I'd love to hear if there is video somewhere...

andarp

Re: Pronunciation Guide?

Thu 07 Feb 2019, 09:15

I honestly don’t think there’s an absolute way to pronouncle those names (though maybe Erik Granström will correct me here) as they are made up and not really Swedish in any sense.

There ARE Swedish names and those have all been translated (The Hollows for example). Most of the god names have been translated as well since their names have very literal meanings (Rust, Huge etc).

Brior

Thu 07 Feb 2019, 12:18

I actually did record some pronounciation videos for my own setting Trachoria. However, I've always maintained that there is no one correct way to pronounce names in the setting since there are (which goes for Ravenland as well) numerous languages and dialects around (so andarp stands uncorrected ;-) ). Obviously I have one pronounciation of each name in my own mind, but I wouldn't consider it the only or necessarily correct one.

For the names you specifically mention, I personally in English would say:
Stanengist – Shtánengist (S lisping and á like in bar)
Merigall – Mérriegull (like merrie + gull, duh)
Zytera – Tsytéera (ée like in Bagheera or leer (UK version),  not like in feel)
Zertorme – Tsertórmeh (pronouncing the ending e like in meh)

Hopefully this was to some help, but again, find your own way.

Sherman
Topic Author

Thu 07 Feb 2019, 22:07

Awesome! I would have never guessed those. I wish more fantasy settings defined this stuff a little. I always wonder how Lovecraft discussed his work with people... Did he say the names of the Old Ones even? "The tentacle face one..."

Brior

Fri 08 Feb 2019, 08:05

Just tell me if you wonder about some other names, and I'll tell you how I pronounciate them!

Danzig

Tue 03 May 2022, 23:02

Resurrecting an old post but here goes!

Out of interest @Brior, were the names created/given with any order to them? Like did you give culture groups/kin specific names? Or are they a just kind of made up fantasy names? Or do they all have roots in Swedish names and have been translated as best possible?

Find this all interesting but also (and arguably more important) I suck at creating names for NPCs so tend to use generators :D But would love to use some that are lore friendly if possible.

Brior

Thu 05 May 2022, 13:55

Out of interest @Brior, were the names created/given with any order to them? Like did you give culture groups/kin specific names? Or are they a just kind of made up fantasy names? Or do they all have roots in Swedish names and have been translated as best possible?
There's a lot to be said on this topic. Generally I dislike randomly generated fantasy names since they often become generic, are hard to tell apart and give no flavour. In Forbidden lands we DID use a name guide concerning individuals from different tribes and kins, while most geographical names are human-centric.

When it comes to names on the map, I usually try to find names connected to the lay of the land, the history and what people traditionally have done at the place. There are good resources for this in etymology, for instance here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... ed_Kingdom.

In my Trachorian setting I had very elaborate naming practices, built on the different language influences in different areas. This I described in some blog posts – alas written in Swedish:
https://erik-granstrom.blogspot.com/201 ... orien.html
https://erik-granstrom.blogspot.com/201 ... seder.html