Brior
Topic Author

Dwarves

Wed 02 Jan 2019, 09:06

A question came up elsewhere about whether dwarves have dark vision. I gave a suggestion and thought it might be good to also post it in a settings post. Since I found no thread about dwarves, I made one.

My answer on dark vision:
”To me it seems reasonable that the dwarves have some kind of dark vision since they often dwell underground. Wouldn't it be cool if dwarves were able to emit short burst of infrared (invisable to men) stroboscopic light from glands by their noses every five minutes or so? The reflections give them a snapshot of the surroundings paired with a very good visual memory that lets them keep that image until the next flash. It would give dwarves limited dark vision that would limit their mobility in darkness as well as awareness of changes or movement. The light bursts might scare some beasts and attract others that prey upon dwarves. The lenght of the dark period between bursts might depend on for instance WITS.”

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Dwarves

Wed 02 Jan 2019, 23:16

I like it. But I also handwaved a response to the do dwaves had night vision question by saying they can “feel” the stone and metal that surrounds them. So dark vision in caverns, but no advantage outside at night. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Röteborgaren

Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:36

I mean, if we're going that route, Wolfkin should probably be given darkvision as well since wolves see quite well in the dark. Traditionally Elves have quite good eyesight as well, so a case can be made to give both Elves and Half-Elves darkvision. And Halflings live in holes in the ground, right? They need darkvision. Orcs are orcs, so let's give them darkvision as well. /s

No, but in all seriousness, one of the things I really like about the setting is the lack of darkvision, or rather the need for torches. In my mind dwarves have had access to light sources such as lanterns and forges enough that there's no need for darkvision.

I must say infrared nosebeams is a genuinely creative way of going about it though! An idea from me is that dwarves are able to drink lantern oil and their nose lights up like a lantern for a quarter day. That way the resource economy isn't affected and it's easier to keep track of quarter days rather than five minute intervals, and it means dwarves don't have to carry lanterns and can use both hands in the dark? It also makes sense that dwarves would be more likely to use oil than wood for light sources underground.
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

oneone78

Thu 03 Jan 2019, 16:46

i raised the question, and after some thought agree that there shouldn't be any sort of darkvision allowed as it makes the need for torches pointless. everyone has been cooped up away from the dangerous darkness for 300 years, maybe they once had it and it has since "worn off"?

Eldhierta

Thu 03 Jan 2019, 22:40

i raised the question, and after some thought agree that there shouldn't be any sort of darkvision allowed as it makes the need for torches pointless. everyone has been cooped up away from the dangerous darkness for 300 years, maybe they once had it and it has since "worn off"?
Well, the books state that goblins have darkvision but that they suffer trauma from sunlight. I houseruled it that they indeed avoid all negative effects of fighting in darkness, but in return they get those same disadvantages when fighting in too bright light. So they are great stalkers and hunters at night, not so much during the middle of the day.

Rymdhamster

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 17:13

I like it that dwarves an elves and goblins (the PC-kind) don't have nightvision. It makes the group work better together, and I find it hillarious that dwarfs insists on building their homes underground despite not being able to see in the dark. It's that great kind of sillines that you can see in so many cultures, since the original reason for it has long since dissaperaed but the custom remains. 
Planning on testing Star Ctizien?

Referral code STAR-WVBX-F6QB gives you 5000 extra space bucks to start with (and me a chance of getting a new ship).

The1TrueFredrix

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 22:36

I think PC goblins do have night vision, even though it’s not mentioned in the Players Handbook. Otherwise why would there be the Agility cost?
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Rymdhamster

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 22:55

Otherwise why would there be the Agility cost?
What agility cost is that? 

Referral code STAR-WVBX-F6QB gives you 5000 extra space bucks to start with (and me a chance of getting a new ship).

Fenhorn

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 23:24

In the GM's Guide the Goblin's Nocturnal ability say that they are not affected by darkness at all. In direct daylight, they suffer 1 point of damage to Agility every Quarter Day. In the Swedish version, they have left out the word Agility (something for the errata list).

I like that there are no kin that can see in the dark, except for goblins. It fits the goblins history and makes them unique.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rymdhamster

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 23:39

In the GM's Guide the Goblin's Nocturnal ability say that they are not affected by darkness at all. In direct daylight, they suffer 1 point of damage to Agility every Quarter Day.
A gottcha. I don't read the GM-guide for obvious reasons =)

Well, then the reason there is an agility cost is in case the PCs run into goblin attackers. Run into them late in the day and they will be that much weaker. Nothing strange there. 

Obviously the PC-goblin is a domesticated version. Or have just gotten used to the daylight after haging out with daypeople for too long ;)
Though it would be cool with an official declaration weather or not this as intended, or if it is a miss.