Shuriken
Topic Author

Human kin references and translation

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 11:25

Hi!

Going to host a game, and have a problem translating several names to my local language (Ukrainian, if anything).

For example, I can see how the Reapenters were formed (like, reap+repent), or Alderland is the land of alder tree, so Alderlanders are, basically, the alder people. 

Aslene probably means nothing, and should be used transliterated, not translated.
Seeing the Scythian/Parthians reference, I've decided to call them Alans myself, just because it sounds better, and I don't mind using a real world reference. Quards also probably named after Quadi people, but this time I like Quards more.

Galdanes feels like they were created with some Vandals genes in a mix  :)

What gives me trouble, though, is the Ailanders. As they are more of a religious sect than people (I don't remember seeing an Ailand country anywhere in the books), and their name sounds so similar to Alderlanders, and they also have a shared homeland, I am very tempted to translate them just like their Alderlander cousins (alder people). 
At the same time, I fail to see an etymology of the word - neither any meaningful word (or is it really ail, like, a disease?), nor a real world reference I could utilize to scrounge something. 
Any suggestions? 
How are they called in a Swedish version, by the way? 

Eldhierta

Re: Human kin references and translation

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 12:16

In Swedish they are called Eländer from the word elände which translates as misery, misfortune, distress, nuisance, wretchedness. It alludes to their status as a persecuted people who were forced to flee Alderland and settle in Ravenland because of their religious beliefs.

Shuriken
Topic Author

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 12:26

Now I have some basis, thank you!

Rasmus

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 18:16

Same thing in english. Ailanders from the verb ail. :)

Eldhierta

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 18:31

Same thing in english. Ailanders from the verb ail. :)
Yeah, although I don't really feel that ail and misery carry quite the same heft. But it serves =D

Shuriken
Topic Author

Wed 05 Dec 2018, 18:49

Got another hint from my local community: Aslene - Ashlings - ash people :) Gives us connection to all the volcanoes and Horn worshipping

Rymdhamster

Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:26

Got another hint from my local community: Aslene - Ashlings - ash people :) Gives us connection to all the volcanoes and Horn worshipping
In swedish "aslene" pretty much would translate to "the extremly smooth", from which I gathered all their horses are very well groomed =)
Planning on testing Star Ctizien?

Referral code STAR-WVBX-F6QB gives you 5000 extra space bucks to start with (and me a chance of getting a new ship).

Brior

Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:48

In swedish "aslene" pretty much would translate to "the extremly smooth", from which I gathered all their horses are very well groomed =)
Very smooth interpretation, mr hamster, but I would say that ”aslene” more is Danish.
But wait, I live in Denmark! That is, my parish is named Denmark, although it's in Sweden.
Also ”as” could be interpreted as the ancient viking gods, so perhaps Horn is really a clean shaven Thor?