Diesel_dejavu
Topic Author

Days of the week

Thu 20 Sep 2018, 21:31

Has anyone come up with names for days of the week that I may steal/borrow?

Fenhorn

Re: Days of the week

Thu 20 Sep 2018, 21:55

I did a calendar for the year 1165 A.S. but in that I used numbers for day 1-6 and then Wyrmday for the "holyday". The reason I did it this way is that there is and has been cultures IRL that uses numbers instead of names for the days (and yes, it was quick and it's workable).

Some things for FbL

Edit: updated the calendar with Erik Granströms suggestions for naming the days.
Last edited by Fenhorn on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Diesel_dejavu
Topic Author

Thu 20 Sep 2018, 22:10

Thank you, looks good!

The1TrueFredrix

Sat 22 Sep 2018, 22:42

Oh ho! What fun!

Wyrmday, Ravenday, Wailsday and Flowday are obvious (Alderlander) ones. I want to add Hearthday as both a nod to Huge and and a “day of rest”. So we need two more. I like Rustday and Hemeday. But technically they would replace Ravenday and Wyrmday 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Fenhorn

Sat 22 Sep 2018, 22:52

Oh ho! What fun!

Wyrmday, Ravenday, Wailsday and Flowday are obvious (Alderlander) ones. I want to add Hearthday as both a nod to Huge and and a “day of rest”. So we need two more. I like Rustday and Hemeday. But technically they would replace Ravenday and Wyrmday 
The reason I did numbering thing and not god names was just that most people (humans at least) worship one god and one god only.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 23 Sep 2018, 08:58

That’s not strictly true though is it? Wail and Flow are honoured by villagers who might also worship the protector as Wyrm or Raven. And even though there is argument about which of Raven and Wyrm is the actual god, the other had an important part to play in bringing humans to Ravenland. And we Europeans “all” worship one God, yet here in the UK we still name our days after Woden, Thor and Freya :)
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Arnold

Mon 24 Sep 2018, 17:26

Common week days for the whole forbidden lands actually only makes sense to me if there were without religious background.
There are different religions which are grave enemies, would the raven followers tolerate a Rustday? Or the rust brothers a Ravensday?

And on the other hand, there was 300 years of isolated villages because of the blood mist, it really makes sense to me that every community has different week days.

Diesel_dejavu
Topic Author

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 00:33

I like the god-themed week days, but I agree that they might be issues with some so I’ll probably go with the number system. “Today is the 4th day of Fallwane”

Brior

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 08:03

I wrote the setting as you might remember, but didn't give the weekdays a name, mostly because there was so much to do that I never got around to it. My thoughts:

I do agree that religious naming of the days would only make sense locally, but would be fine there. Some probably think this would be a mess, but to me that is really part of the setting, which also applies to the discussion elsewhere about selling stuff – Ravenland is a after all a boiling cauldron of incompatible ingredients. In commerce I assume that valuation and demand of goods as well as local rules, systems of measurements etc would differ significantly. I hope this might be seen as an ingredient in adventuring rather than as hinderance.

Concerning naming of days, I would assume that:
* Wolfkin, ogres, lizardkin and probably elves don't name days at all since they don't see the point of this.
* Goblins might call all days ”The Blind”, but might name week-nights after animals.
* Humans might use generic naming of days based on practices but with local, sometimes religious variations. (In Swedish för instance saturday – ”lördag” – derives from ”lögardag” – ”the day to wash yourself”). Perhaps:
1. Sunday (because every day starts with the sun arriving – for preparation, reading omens and speaking to the skies)
2. Moonday (because the moon concludes and complements the day – for magic, secrets, mysticism etc)
3. Blood day (when you go to war or slaughter animals) – renamed as Rust day by the Rust brothers.
4. Earthday (for growing, fertilizing, sex etc)
5. Growth day (for accomplishment, education, building etc)
6. Harvest day (For collecting, bartering, eating good etc)
7. Stillday (for contemplation, prayer, cleansing, reevaluation, counsel and decisions)

* Dwarves use human practices when necessary but tend to measure time in accomplishments rather than days since these don't make much sense anyway underground. It might be considered undwarvly and even heretic to care about days passing – Huge's hearth is always burning and the world naturally rotates like a sword being forged to be evenly heated.

Rasmus

Tue 25 Sep 2018, 09:44

Thanks for this! :)