LReed
Topic Author

Learning and practicing magic

Fri 01 Jun 2018, 00:33

Once you find a master, how is the process of learning and practicing magic?

Does it require practicing the spells over and over again? In this case, the sorcerer would need "willpower" for that practice. But willpower only "appears" when pushing oneself until physical or mental damage. Would it mean that learning involves some kind of extreme meditation or physical effort?

Or is it a pure theoretical process? With no practice... Then, the sorcerer would only get to see the effects of a spell when he casts it for real? Could this explain to some extend the chaotic and dangerous nature of magic in FBL? I mean, Sorcerers not being able to practice due to the lack of "willpower points", leading to uncontrolled casting.

Fenhorn

Re: Learning and practicing magic

Fri 01 Jun 2018, 00:54

You also get WP by resting in your stronghold. Now, perhaps the young apprentice doesn't have a stronghold (probably not), but he probably have a room & board arrangement with the master so that will be treated as his home.

My take on it that it will take time and WP comes from the master testing his apprentice skills and also every now and then because he is in his home. So if a mage with a skill level of three in Lore (for  example), we can assume that the master tests his pupils lore knowledge and does so very hard (so hard so the pupil needs to push himself to pass the various tests). The pupil also get WP from being in his stronghold (his stronghold at the time).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

LReed
Topic Author

Re: Learning and practicing magic

Sat 02 Jun 2018, 22:40

Thanks! I like the idea of the master testing his student so hard that makes him earn WP. Similar to my first idea but better.

And I completely forgot of the stronghold granting WP. By the way, It's a rule I do not find very compatible with the standard way of earning WP. On one hand you have to push yourself very hard to get WP, on the other it is enough to rest in a soft bed at home...