Klas
Topic Author

Subverting humans through passion

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 00:03

Given that dwarfs and elves are few in number, might it have occurred to them to subvert the supernumerous humans by indulging their passions, followed by guilt blackmail? How well do they understand their invaders by now? And if this is a credible plot line, which kin would be the most likely to try it? Dwarfs seem to have a systematic, means-for-ends approach going for them. Elves have their deep understanding of natural processes. Would either find the idea of Illuminatism a la Weishaupt too revolting to attempt it?

It goes without saying that this could go terribly wrong.

Brior

Re: Subverting humans through passion

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 08:51

Given that dwarfs and elves are few in number, might it have occurred to them to subvert the supernumerous humans by indulging their passions, followed by guilt blackmail? How well do they understand their invaders by now? And if this is a credible plot line, which kin would be the most likely to try it? Dwarfs seem to have a systematic, means-for-ends approach going for them. Elves have their deep understanding of natural processes. Would either find the idea of Illuminatism a la Weishaupt too revolting to attempt it?

It goes without saying that this could go terribly wrong.
As I implied in the hostage thread, the elves at one point actually intervened in Alderland politics and secretly usurped the throne. Like you suspect it didn't really end well. There's some mainly unknown elven backstory in the magical artefacts chapter. The adventurers will have the opportunity to learn this if they befriend the right people / ghosts.

Klas
Topic Author

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:30

Is this better known among elven elders? There's a note somewhere of a house or wall set with elven rubies that serve as a memory bank of sorts. I note also though that elves typically aren't too interested in history as a field of study?

Brior

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:56

Is this better known among elven elders? There's a note somewhere of a house or wall set with elven rubies that serve as a memory bank of sorts. I note also though that elves typically aren't too interested in history as a field of study?
Yes, you might even meet some of the elves that were involved at the time. Like I said and you imply, elves are not necessarily interested in history nor equipped with perfect memory, so I'd say it's up to the GM to decide on how much to reveal of the backstory. I'd go for what's best for the experience and challenge.