oneone78
Topic Author

pronunciation

Tue 20 Mar 2018, 17:29

curious how others pronounce certain things so far. one thing i came across was the god Heme. is it "heem" or "he-me" or "heh-meh"? personally i like "heem".

Eldhierta

Re: pronunciation

Tue 20 Mar 2018, 17:37

curious how others pronounce certain things so far. one thing i came across was the god Heme. is it "heem" or "he-me" or "heh-meh"? personally i like "heem".
In Swedish I'll go for "he-me" but in English I'll probably roll with "heem". It just sounds right that way.

AndersP

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:56

Considering the meaning of the word Heme in our world and the background of Erik Granström (who once named a fjord Amygdala...) I get the feeling that the word should be pronounced in the same way you pronounce the protein hemoglobulin (technically hemoglobulin has a part that is called a heme-group (or sometimes haem-group) that has an iron ion), which would mean that the English pronunciation would be "heem".

In Swedish "Heme" is probably the most common pronunciation.

Brior

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 15:48

Considering the meaning of the word Heme in our world and the background of Erik Granström (who once named a fjord Amygdala...) I get the feeling that the word should be pronounced in the same way you pronounce the protein hemoglobulin (technically hemoglobulin has a part that is called a heme-group (or sometimes haem-group) that has an iron ion), which would mean that the English pronunciation would be "heem".

In Swedish "Heme" is probably the most common pronunciation.
Anders has decoded my twisted sense of humour correctly and Ravenland (like my native setting Trachoria) is littered with ester eggs and references to this and that. Note that I do this mostly because it amuses me (and hopefully others), although in my novels the references often have some additional meaning.

So Heme is from the heme-group in hemoglobin as Anders says – the red stuff in our blood. I found this appropriate since the goddess is into blood sacrifices and is bound to the Iron god Rust (heme has an iron atom at the centre). I suggest the pronounciation ”heem” in English and ”heme” like ”stege” in Swedish. There's actually another blatant reference to heme in the game, but you haven't seen it yet. Let's see who finds it first. I promise a Bloody Mary to that person if we meet ;-).

It´s worth to note that the picture of Heme in the religion chapter is inspired by my friends work, the Swedish artist Vildhjärta ”Wildheart”. Go check out her stuff. It's really nice! I even have a sculpture of her here at home. http://vildhjärta.se/

Canute

Tue 18 Dec 2018, 13:21

Sorry to hop into this old conversation, but I found it very interesting. I can appreciate hidden references. :)

Is there a preferred way of pronouncing the name Huge? I've personally been pronouncing it "H'yoog", but one of my players pronounces it "H'yoo'gee" and another pronounces it just like the english word Huge, "h'yoo'j". What are the creators using?

AndersP

Tue 18 Dec 2018, 14:12

Sorry to hop into this old conversation, but I found it very interesting. I can appreciate hidden references. :)

Is there a preferred way of pronouncing the name Huge? I've personally been pronouncing it "H'yoog", but one of my players pronounces it "H'yoo'gee" and another pronounces it just like the english word Huge, "h'yoo'j". What are the creators using?
Once again the Swedish vesion may be of help. There he is called Stor which means Huge as in big. So say it in the same way you use the word "huge".

Canute

Mon 24 Dec 2018, 10:05

Thanks for the advice. I like the name Stor as well :)