AndersP
Topic Author

Dwarfs as PC in a mixed group of humans

Fri 16 Mar 2018, 10:06

After reading the three new chapters of the rules about the history, religion and the different kins I felt that it will be very hard to explain why dwarfs ever would be interested in being in a group with humans.

The other kins like elfs etc all had an possible explanation by providing example of why a PC would want to leave their home and mix with other kins instead of just killing them (or never leaving their home in the first place).  But the different tribes of dwarfs all seem to have one thing in common, they hate humans.

Now, I and the players could of course make up a reason (e.g.g the PC hated the dwarfen society) but it would be nice to hear what other people think of this.

Brior

Re: Dwarfs as PC in a mixed group of humans

Fri 16 Mar 2018, 10:34

After reading the three new chapters of the rules about the history, religion and the different kins I felt that it will be very hard to explain why dwarfs ever would be interested in being in a group with humans.

The other kins like elfs etc all had an possible explanation by providing example of why a PC would want to leave their home and mix with other kins instead of just killing them (or never leaving their home in the first place).  But the different tribes of dwarfs all seem to have one thing in common, they hate humans.

Now, I and the players could of course make up a reason (e.g.g the PC hated the dwarfen society) but it would be nice to hear what other people think of this.
The dwarves don't hate aslene humans – there's actually an alliance in one of the adventure sites – and would probably accept eastern Ravenlanders that are enemies of Zytera and the Rust brothers. They basically hate the invading Alderlanders represented by the latters. Also I see dwarves as somewhat practically inclined while there certainly are fanatics among them as well.

AndersP
Topic Author

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 09:40

The dwarves don't hate aslene humans – there's actually an alliance in one of the adventure sites – and would probably accept eastern Ravenlanders that are enemies of Zytera and the Rust brothers. They basically hate the invading Alderlanders represented by the latters. Also I see dwarves as somewhat practically inclined while there certainly are fanatics among them as well.
Perhaps this should be mentioned in a sentence or two in the section about dwarfs because in the description of them it seems to be all humans when I read it.

Klas

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:38

Explicit exceptions from the baseline attitude will be useful in this setting (there are in fact several already). Orcs seemed quite impossible to mix with other kin until I read these three new chapters. Now it seems to be humans. It's fine that the average Joe would never have anything to do with humans but we might not want to play average Joe characters :)

lupex

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:00

I would agree, anything that makes intergrating characters from disparate kin easier is very welcome.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Brior

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:05

Perhaps this should be mentioned in a sentence or two in the section about dwarfs because in the description of them it seems to be all humans when I read it.
Noted!

skysterman

Sun 15 Apr 2018, 16:23

Could be an unsteady alliance, perhaps they were all hired by the locals to clear out a ruin, or they were exploring separately and had to fight side by side when things went wrong. I think depending on where the story starts it will be a lot easier to put the pc's together.

hariman

Fri 25 Jan 2019, 21:11

In my campaign, there is a dwarf who is honour bound to another character (a Raven Sister, as it were). I have not figured out exactly what happened, but she saved his life and he is now honour bound to protect her. The fact that he is not always happy about that fact, especially since the others in the party is from Alderland, is part of the plot :)

Rymdhamster

Sat 26 Jan 2019, 18:30

I figure most dwarves are pretty isolationists, and that's why they don't get along. A dwarf ready to set out on adventure seems like someone who is a bit more open to begin with. If they have also spent some time in the company of other kin perhaps a more open view will would have rubbed off on them, opening them up for the company of humans. 

There is also of course the route of "mankind as a whole is garbage, but one or two individuals might be okay (or at least tolerable)".
Planning on testing Star Ctizien?

Referral code STAR-WVBX-F6QB gives you 5000 extra space bucks to start with (and me a chance of getting a new ship).