LupNi

Re: How do you learn magic on your own?

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 15:05

I'd love to have a random spell name generator for scrolls and spells found in books. I really like the idea that you find a spell, roll for its name, end up with "Zenkull's Shadow Voice" and have to decide what the spell does. I've seen it in other games, it might be my favorite magic system... But maybe it's out of scope for FL.

King_Kull

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 15:23

I'd love to have a random spell name generator for scrolls and spells found in books. I really like the idea that you find a spell, roll for its name, end up with "Zenkull's Shadow Voice" and have to decide what the spell does. I've seen it in other games, it might be my favorite magic system... But maybe it's out of scope for FL.
I don’t know if FbL make such a free spellcasting system possible. As there are no rules for the development of spontaneous magic I didn’t think that this is possible without much work for the GM and the caster.
I am king!

9littlebees

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 16:31

Something similar to Maze Rats?  I love the system but agree with King Kull that I don't think we'll see it here.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

LupNi

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 17:04

Something similar to Maze Rats?  I love the system but agree with King Kull that I don't think we'll see it here.
Yes, Maze Rats is a great example. Another is the system that can be found in the playtest rules of Freebooters on the Frontier 2e. It's a bit more structured:they provide a table about what effects are appropriate for what spell power level.

I could totally see a similar template in FL, based on the existing spells:
- a level 1 spell can deal or heal 1 damage/PL, provide auto success on a specific skill check, amplify your senses, perform minor useful tricks that could be obtained with mundane tools
- a level 2 spell can deal ongoing damage, heal critical injuries, provide useful effects that are beyond human capabilities (distant vision, illusion, etc)
- a level 3 spell is a miracle, bending reality in a way everyone present will remember: give life to something inanimate, open portals, control minds or elements, etc.
Adding details about additional WP costs if there are multiple targets, if the range is higher than Near, etc.

But yeah it's maybe more in the realm of houserules...

9littlebees

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 17:14

Yes, Maze Rats is a great example. Another is the system that can be found in the playtest rules of Freebooters on the Frontier 2e. It's a bit more structured:they provide a table about what effects are appropriate for what spell power level.
I could totally see a similar template in FL, based on the existing spells:
- a level 1 spell can deal or heal 1 damage/PL, provide auto success on a specific skill check, amplify your senses, perform minor useful tricks that could be obtained with mundane tools
- a level 2 spell can deal ongoing damage, heal critical injuries, provide useful effects that are beyond human capabilities (distant vision, illusion, etc)
- a level 3 spell is a miracle, bending reality in a way everyone present will remember: give life to something inanimate, open portals, control minds or elements, etc.
Adding details about additional WP costs if there are multiple targets, if the range is higher than Near, etc.

But yeah it's maybe more in the realm of houserules...
Ah, I Kickstarted FotF but haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet, I'll have to check it out!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)