Klas
Topic Author

Halflings' evil cousins

Sun 21 Jan 2018, 16:22

My first playtest (Swedish alpha) went really well and one of the halfling players decided, for background, that his character is haunted by his evil twin. Since these are hinted at in the kin description and I want to build a campaign around the characters' backgrounds, could we get a little more information about the halflings' shady cousins?

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Halflings' evil cousins

Mon 22 Jan 2018, 19:51

Ha, very interesting topic, I will ler Brior (Erik) answer this one. :)
Fria Ligan

Brior

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:50

OK, I got permission from FL to disclose that goblins (svartalfer) are the evil (?) cousins of the halflings in the setting. That is: the two are really one breed where offspring either is born as halfling OR goblin. This is no big deal for the goblins but halflings very much don't want to discuss the issue. Pregnant women of both kinds go to dedicated, hidden villages to give birth (typically islands in rivers or gorges in forests) where both goblin and halfling midwives amiably serve together. No men are allowed here but fathers-to-be traditionally keep watch in the vicinity, goblins and halflings together. Normally infants are discreetly traded at birth so that each go home with children of their own kind. Even the husbands are not informed about whether a specific child is theirs or not and the matter is taboo to discuss.

Halflings normally want nothing to do with goblins, but the goblins tend to secretly watch over their kin and sometimes help halflings when necessary.

My view on this is that it rhymes well with the halflings living their merry lives to a large extent as a facade. Also I see many possibilities for complications, where for instance a mother insists on keeping the ”wrong” baby, a woman doesn't make it to the birthplace in time, a halfling has been raised as a goblin etc. Hope you see the possibilities in this too, rather than sacrilege ;-) !

9littlebees

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:56

OK, I got permission from FL to disclose that goblins (svartalfer) are the evil (?) cousins of the halflings in the setting. That is: the two are really one breed where offspring either is born as halfling OR goblin. This is no big deal for the goblins but halflings very much don't want to discuss the issue. Pregnant women of both kinds go to dedicated, hidden villages to give birth (typically islands in rivers or gorges in forests) where both goblin and halfling midwives amiably serve together. No men are allowed here but fathers-to-be traditionally keep watch in the vicinity, goblins and halflings together. Normally infants are discreetly traded at birth so that each go home with children of their own kind. Even the husbands are not informed about whether a specific child is theirs or not and the matter is taboo to discuss.

Haflings normally want nothing to do with goblins, but the goblins tend to secretly watch over their kin and sometimes help halflings when necessary.

My view on this is that it rhymes well with the halflings living their merry lives to a large extent as a facade. Also I see many possibilities for complications, where for instance a mother insists on keeping the ”wrong” baby, a woman doesn't make it to the birthplace in time, a halfling has been raised as a goblin etc. Hope you see the possibilities in this too rather than sacrilege ;-) !
Awesome, I love this new twist on halflings and goblins!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

King_Kull

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:07

Haflings normally want nothing to do with goblins, but the goblins tend to secretly watch over their kin and sometimes help halflings when necessary.

My view on this is that it rhymes well with the halflings living their merry lives to a large extent as a facade. Also I see many possibilities for complications, where for instance a mother insists on keeping the ”wrong” baby, a woman doesn't make it to the birthplace in time, a halfling has been raised as a goblin etc. Hope you see the possibilities in this too, rather than sacrilege ;-) !
Quite nice :)
I am king!

Klas
Topic Author

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 20:58

Thank you, I could not have hoped for a better answer :)
This will be awesome.

lupex

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 21:03

This sounds great and adds to the uniqueness of fb
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Brior

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 23:31

Incidently the goblin-halfling relationship briefly is depicted in the short story ”Mercy in Vond” that I wrote and that probably will serve as intro to the ”Ravens Purge” campaign book.

King_Kull

Wed 24 Jan 2018, 00:03

Is it June now? ;)
I am king!

Thomas

Wed 24 Jan 2018, 22:36

This begs for the opportunity to play a goblin as well. The very (very!) unwanted sibling of some other player’s halfling PC.
Insta @lofvingart | Writer Svavelvinter, Machinarium , Elysium etcetera