lupex

Re: Halflings' evil cousins

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 00:08

This begs for the opportunity to play a goblin as well. The very (very!) unwanted sibling of some other player’s halfling PC.
Definitely, now we need to have goblin as a playable species.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Klas
Topic Author

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 21:11

In a manner of speaking they already are, since you can choose halfling and they are the same kin.

But isn't it nice that the goblins are only hinted at in material that is open to players? This way it can become a discovery through play that future characters could be goblins. This game is not for lenient GM's anyway so prepare to die. Repeatedly.

Lowdice

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 12:47

Yah, not much of a secret if everybody knows...

Brior

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 13:11

Here's an addition to the halfling and goblin setting text about their mythical origins. Note that this might not be altogether in line with what actually happened. My ambition has been to further anchor these kin in the setting and to give them a long-time quest that we might expand upon later. This take has been cleared by FL, but please give feedback!

The mythical origins of halflings and goblins
As elves fell to earth from The Red Wanderer of the sky, the moon goddess Eor got jealous and threw blue moonstones after them. From these grew dark elflike beings that were of little use and couldn’t abide the sunlight of their new world, so they claimed the dark forests and mountains of eastern Ravenland as theirs. When the Raven God divided the land, they tried to trick him, and as punishment they themselves were divided into halflings and goblins. The moonstones were torn from their breasts and according to myth taken to Aslene. Since that time, the halflings are shamed and desperately try to seem good-natured to conceal their legacy of deceit. The moon goddess Eor has become the goddess of lies, deception and hidden meanings, averting her face in shame every month.

The goblins are satisfied with their destiny. They still worship Eor with nightly rituals and sacrifices, as do the halflings although secretly. Among the halfling moon priests, some belong to the Penita – a sect dedicated to repentance. Its members seek the lost moonstones to restore their original kin. The goblins actively oppose this ambition since they’re fine as it is, but seldom kill halflings since they believe that each halfling life is connected to a goblin.

King_Kull

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 15:14

I like this story very much. But two questions:
1. What was the trick they tried to play?
2. And why is the separation a punishment?
I am king!

Brior

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 15:31

I like this story very much. But two questions:
1. What was the trick they tried to play?
2. And why is the separation a punishment?
Good questions!  They will however not be expanded on right now since:
a. I wasn't allowed more space due to layout limitations, and
b. this is something to build on for future expansions and therefore better left unexplained at the moment. Nothing stops a halfling player from aiming to adress the punishment and atonement though.

King_Kull

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 23:03

Alright :)
I am king!

Klas
Topic Author

Sun 01 Apr 2018, 19:57

I like this very much. It sounds though as the secret history of the halflings is something they only pass on to trusted carriers of the memory? I.e. my halfling PCs need know nothing about this.

Brior

Tue 24 Apr 2018, 19:45

I wrote these player descriptions of Goblins (Svartalfer) today since their kin will be playable. Swedish and English version (my translation - not proof read)

Svartalf
De gamle säger att vi är halvlingarnas mörka syskon. Skiter väl jag i! Vi lever i alla fall medan fetbollarna inte ens försöker. Vad vet halvlingar om att yla med vargar, slicka blod från dryparträd under fullmånen eller älska bland nässlor? Vakade vi inte över dem om nätterna hade troll och vargfolk sedan länge slitit dem och deras prydliga byar i stycken.
Nog med det! Världen därute ligger frossarfylld av lukter och smaker och silver och spänning. Jag bränner iväg genom mörkret med fingrarna i raggen och vargens fradga stänkande över ansiktet. Det är om natten allt lever och det är vi svartalfer som lever den! ”

Goblins
The elders say we’re the dark brothers of the halflings. Like I give a shit! All I know is that we live while the lardbags don’t even try. What do halflings know about howling with wolves, licking blood off drippertrees under a full moon or making love among nettles? If we didn’t keep nightwatch over their sadassed, pretty villages, trolls and wolfkin would have teared them apart a long time ago.
I say enough and be gone with that! The world’s out there, swollen with smells and flavor and silver and bad thunker thrills. I’ll be taking off into the dark, burning my wolf’s claws raw, fingers dug deep into his fur, froth washing my face. The night’s alive and we’re the ones living it!”

9littlebees

Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:11

Now I really want to play a goblin!!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)