lupex
Topic Author

Getting the characters involved

Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:48

I know that it's too early to know yet but I was wondering how we would get the characters involved in exploring the forbidden lands, will there be plenty of diverse story hooks to bring together a potentially diverse group of characters?

One of my players was asking which side of the wall he would start on, I think the characters start in the forbidden lands and go from there.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Brior

Re: Getting the characters involved

Fri 03 Nov 2017, 11:19

I know that it's too early to know yet but I was wondering how we would get the characters involved in exploring the forbidden lands, will there be plenty of diverse story hooks to bring together a potentially diverse group of characters?

One of my players was asking which side of the wall he would start on, I think the characters start in the forbidden lands and go from there.
A general thing would be ”The world has recently opened up for exploration and I'm fed up with my village and the old ways of my parents.” We wanted players to be able to start playing right away without knowing much about the world. That said, if you're willing to invest in learning parts of the setting there are many hooks for religious, political, historical incentives or you can just try to become someone with power and a reputation – be it good or bad. Many adventure sites also give you the opportunity to become friend or foe of various groups and then take it from there.
Concerning what side of the wall to start on, there will not be a whole lot of info (apart from history) of Alderland south of the wall. This is deliberate since we might do an expansion there and nobody is admitted south. You will either start as one born in Ravenland or possibly as someone descending from the wall, be it as a deported criminal, a zealous missionary or a refugee. In that case you'll have to make up your back story on your own or come up with a reason for amnesia.

King_Kull

Fri 03 Nov 2017, 16:54

A general thing would be ”The world has recently opened up for exploration and I'm fed up with my village and the old ways of my parents.” We wanted players to be able to start playing right away without knowing much about the world. That said, if you're willing to invest in learning parts of the setting there are many hooks for religious, political, historical incentives or you can just try to become someone with power and a reputation – be it good or bad. Many adventure sites also give you the opportunity to become friend or foe of various groups and then take it from there.
Concerning what side of the wall to start on, there will not be a whole lot of info (apart from history) of Alderland south of the wall. This is deliberate since we might do an expansion there and nobody is admitted south. You will either start as one born in Ravenland or possibly as someone descending from the wall, be it as a deported criminal, a zealous missionary or a refugee. In that case you'll have to make up your back story on your own or come up with a reason for amnesia.
What? Where am I? And who am I? :)
I am king!

lupex
Topic Author

Sat 04 Nov 2017, 00:41

This sounds good. I would stick with starting off in the forbidden lands, especially as I don't want the burden of creating lore for south of the wall if it might later be contradicted and I am not fond of amnesia games. I do like the concept of the players deciding who to side with as they travel the lands and encounter different groups, it will also be up to them to decide what history to believe, which is a great way of forging thier own story.

I also imagine the character generation booklet will help with character backgrounds and motivations.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Omligh

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 20:54

This is great news! I was wondering just how "unexplored" Ravenland actually is by the time our group of "would-be-adventurers" enter the scene.
Was halfthinking of bringing them in on a pilgrimage ship from the east, beyond the sea. Something along things goes bad along the coast, because pirates/mutiny, or the moment they hit shore.
But this changes things considerably!
Thank you!

Edit: 'Just' checked the history thread and got my answer straight away. Apologies! :P

Omligh

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 22:57

As FL will support some interesting openworld concepts, I feel it necessary to use some more "freeroaming" choices for my group.
The group (currently 4) will be divided 3-1.
Three hired goons with seperate goals and rewards will land in Ravenland fresh and 1 will be their contact and guide, born and raised in Ravenland.
It's just a basic idea but, considering where we are sending these fortuneseekers, it would be a shame if we make things too easy for them. ;)

King_Kull

Sat 18 Nov 2017, 01:37

As FL will support some interesting openworld concepts, I feel it necessary to use some more "freeroaming" choices for my group.
Three hired goons with seperate goals and rewards will land in Ravenland fresh and 1 will be their contact and guide, born and raised in Ravenland.
It's just a basic idea but, considering where we are sending these fortuneseekers, it would be a shame if we make things too easy for them. ;)
But if you will allow player to play characters from outside the Ravenland you have to make up information of these lands yourself if the player have questions about their homelands. I will only allow characters from the Ravenlands. Less work ;)
I am king!

Brior

Sat 18 Nov 2017, 08:19

But if you will allow player to play characters from outside the Ravenland you have to make up information of these lands yourself if the player have questions about their homelands. I will only allow characters from the Ravenlands. Less work ;)
Perhaps they are religious fanatics sworn to a suicide mission in the name of the snake god and have had their memories partly erased? I'm sure you could come upp with a suitable background.

Omligh

Sat 18 Nov 2017, 12:26

By your command, my liege. :D

Assuming they choose the following types;
One is son to Teo Fontvo (fOnTwo) a well respected merchant and cofounder of the FT inc. As the eldest son, you'll have to prove you have what it takes to run the business and is thus, shipped off to make your name (and expand FT inc's.)
The others would probably be some form of bodyguards to said Fontvo jr.

I'll confess, I haven't gotten to world creation quite yet. But considering we don't have a skill list or character sheet just yet, I figured I could focus my attention to scenario and situation. :P

Arnold

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 20:15

My idea of getting the charakters to form a group is a bit complicated.

First, i will let all players make own characters. As i know my players, the five of them will use 4 or five races in the creationprocess.

Second, i will give them all (except one player) characters made by me from the race of that one player, they form an elven village, a dwarf castle populatian, an orc raiding party, a halfling trading caravan or a wulfling tribe. Their will be some NPC, and strong conections between the community, possible family ties. We will start playing and in the first session, their will be a raid of an different fraction, all charakters and most NPC´s  will die, exception is the self generated one (what a tragedy ...).

Third, the surviving char will meet in prison or slavery  some companions, who are in the same situation (the other selfgenerated characters). Their first common goal will be to escape together from their oppressors. 

Do you think this could work?