Brior
Topic Author

Short story

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 08:51

The very last stretchgoal of the kickstarter campaign has been unlocked, which means I'll write a short story set in Ravenland. I already have some ideas that popped up during the night. What I want to do is give a distinct flavour of the land and setting concentrated in a few pages, something to whet the appetite while signalling ”you think you know Ravenland, but I've only let you glimpse through the door so far. Enter if you dare!” I plan to use one of the major characters from the game as the protagonist in the story.

For inpiration I watched this videoclip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquHpO2VWI

It's a song from 1984 by Swedish composer Ted Ström, picturing Swedish winter in a way that I think captures the Nordic melancholy and beauty very well. Although sad, it's one of my favourites. The clip is a commercial for Volvo, but it's still a very good and tasteful adaption and Volvo actually is mentioned in the original lyrics.

Watch, listen and imagine that these pictures instead show a wilderness land, torn by wars and demons, where people desperately fight to survive.

9littlebees

Re: Short story

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 09:59

Wow, very emotive car commercial! Looking forward to reading your story!

Do you plan to write it before, during or after the book is finished?
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:10

I was planning to write the game stuff first and do the short story during the midwinter holiday calm, but then I started to get ideas and now it's more a struggle to keep it contained. Probably I'll draft it while I do the game stuff and finalize the wording at year's end.

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:17

Wow, very emotive car commercial! Looking forward to reading your story!
I really like the lyrics of this song:
”The night train bellows like an animal through the night.
That's when the vast sombreness rolls ashore.”
Very Nordic!

King_Kull

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:41

I was planning to write the game stuff first and do the short story during the midwinter holiday calm, but then I started to get ideas and now it's more a struggle to keep it contained. Probably I'll draft it while I do the game stuff and finalize the wording at year's end.
As I have read in the comments: discipline is overrated - don’t restrain yourself! Live free! :)

You have written on the forum that you could give us a short summary of your fantasy books. Will you make that happen?
I am king!

Astro_Val

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 12:22

Awesome. In the original English sense of the word  :)

Brior
Topic Author

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 12:31

As I have read in the comments: discipline is overrated - don’t restrain yourself! Live free! :)

You have written on the forum that you could give us a short summary of your fantasy books. Will you make that happen?
Out of principle I will never let myself be enslaved by my good character!
Concerning the summary of the book, I actually sent a pdf to the league a week ago. Harass them! (Myself I forgot about it)

King_Kull

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 13:17

Ah, okay.

Fria Ligan, you hear me? Where’s Erik‘s PDF? Lost in the Forbidden Land? ;)
I am king!

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 17:23

It's here! Just click the button under the photo of Erik. :)
Fria Ligan

King_Kull

Thu 12 Oct 2017, 23:48

It's here! Just click the button under the photo of Erik. :)
Thank you so much!!! :)
I am king!