Eldhierta

Re: History

Sat 28 Oct 2017, 23:40

I love the idea of an old world where its "true" history is shrouded in the past. Where things are not black and white but a matter of perspective. And races or people act depending on their history and they have their own agenda. Classic fantasy roleplaying settings usually have the evil Orcs, the nobel and god elves etc..... Its liberating if the setting in Forbidden Lands can move away from this!
+1

Jurij 1138

Sun 29 Oct 2017, 12:49

I love the idea of an old world where its "true" history is shrouded in the past. Where things are not black and white but a matter of perspective. And races or people act depending on their history and they have their own agenda. Classic fantasy roleplaying settings usually have the evil Orcs, the nobel and god elves etc..... Its liberating if the setting in Forbidden Lands can move away from this!
The dream scenario would be to have a general history outline, and then racially accepted versions to broaden it out.

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 29 Oct 2017, 13:26

The dream scenario would be to have a general history outline, and then racially accepted versions to broaden it out.
This is pretty much our aim. The main history in the game so far is told from the human perspective, but I count on it to be both incorrect and biased and in any case not entirely reliable. This said, we will not from start be able to provide a history of every kin, but there should be hints enough to help flesh it out if you so desire. More will no doubt be said if we write supplements. Also remember that not every group of humans, elves, orcs etc will have the same version of their history.

Jurij 1138

Sun 29 Oct 2017, 20:47

This is pretty much our aim. The main history in the game so far is told from the human perspective, but I count on it to be both incorrect and biased and in any case not entirely reliable. This said, we will not from start be able to provide a history of every kin, but there should be hints enough to help flesh it out if you so desire. More will no doubt be said if we write supplements. Also remember that not every group of humans, elves, orcs etc will have the same version of their history.

Omligh

Sun 05 Nov 2017, 21:39

Good point! After all, who the f-k is Caesar and Augustus in Ravenland? I'll bring it up.
How about:
1 Aftwinter/Eftervinter
2 Wolfmonth/Vargmånad
3 Wartide/Örlog
4 Grassmonth/Gräsmånad
6 Sweetmonth/Sötmånad
7 Soltid/Suntide
8 Rotmonth/Rötne
9 Harvest/Skördemånad
10 Raventide/Hrafne
11 Bloodmoon/Blodsmåne
12 Forewinter/Förvinter
Oh god, my inner nerd just freaked out. Just bare with me.
What if you move the Raventide/Hrafne to be between Forewinter and Aftwinter and have it be that critical month(s) of the year where the is 'no' sun to be had. The long dark if you will? I have a fantastic lore/scenario for my group if this would be even considerable!
EDIT: As a small contribution to lore (part of the scenario), have the long dark/Raventide/Hrafne be symbolic by the raven god opening his/her/its wings which clouds the world from any light.

King_Kull

Mon 06 Nov 2017, 08:45

Good point! After all, who the f-k is Caesar and Augustus in Ravenland? I'll bring it up.
How about:
1 Aftwinter/Eftervinter
2 Wolfmonth/Vargmånad
3 Wartide/Örlog
4 Grassmonth/Gräsmånad
6 Sweetmonth/Sötmånad
7 Soltid/Suntide
8 Rotmonth/Rötne
9 Harvest/Skördemånad
10 Raventide/Hrafne
11 Bloodmoon/Blodsmåne
12 Forewinter/Förvinter
What if you move the Raventide/Hrafne to be between Forewinter and Aftwinter and have it be that critical month(s) of the year where the is 'no' sun to be had. The long dark if you will? I have a fantastic lore/scenario for my group if this would be even considerable!
EDIT: As a small contribution to lore (part of the scenario), have the long dark/Raventide/Hrafne be symbolic by the raven god opening his/her/its wings which clouds the world from any light.
Don’t like this idea. Even if it’s a reality in our world ;)
Perhaps as a compromise: three to five days of darkness. Perhaps holy days...
I am king!

Omligh

Wed 08 Nov 2017, 21:25

How about:
1 Aftwinter/Eftervinter
2 Wolfmonth/Vargmånad
3 Wartide/Örlog
4 Grassmonth/Gräsmånad
6 Sweetmonth/Sötmånad
7 Soltid/Suntide
8 Rotmonth/Rötne
9 Harvest/Skördemånad
10 Raventide/Hrafne
11 Bloodmoon/Blodsmåne
12 Forewinter/Förvinter
Don’t like this idea. Even if it’s a reality in our world ;)
Perhaps as a compromise: three to five days of darkness. Perhaps holy days...
Appreciate the feedback and agree. 30+ days might be too much. But it would be cool with the idea of the "blind war"

Omligh

Mon 27 Nov 2017, 22:51

I'm curious about the development of the forbidden lands. I understand it is set in a fantasy setting, but does this mean for example; there are no or few gunpowder weaponary or mechanical devices/'magic-imbunde' gadgets?

Just thinking out loud. So sorry if this has already been answered.

King_Kull

Tue 28 Nov 2017, 09:30

I'm curious about the development of the forbidden lands. I understand it is set in a fantasy setting, but does this mean for example; there are no or few gunpowder weaponary or mechanical devices/'magic-imbunde' gadgets?

I don’t think that this issue came up. I’m hoping for a classical fantasy setting without gunpowder and too much mechanical devices. But alchemical gadgets, this is a thing I could appreciate.
I am king!

Brior
Topic Author

Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:21

I don’t think that this issue came up. I’m hoping for a classical fantasy setting without gunpowder and too much mechanical devices. But alchemical gadgets, this is a thing I could appreciate.
No gunpowder around (as far as I know ;-) ). The setting is early medieval rather than late, and since social structures have been disrupted, most big buildings are old and partly decayed. Because of the lack of solid kingdoms, guilds and cities worth the name, there's not even reliable coinage – economy is based on worn silver coins from the war chests of yore. Concerning mechanics, there are som neat dwarven things around even though evidence (that you'll encounter in-game) suggests that they also have declined technically. Due to demonic influences, biology has made progress, but not towards anything most people care to meet or use. And of course anything may be expected from magic – the hard thing is to say exactly what.

I don't really understand what Omlight refers to with ”magic-imbunde gadgets”. Please clarify! (Magi driven gadgets? In that case, I guess so.)