Arnold

Re: Peoples and clans

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 22:01

There will be a source book beyond the rule book.
I ´m pretty sure it will contain a lot of halfing history and culture.

Arnold

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 22:03

Will there be an alpha of the scource book for the community? 

Eldhierta

Fri 05 Jan 2018, 22:08

The only thing is: the halflings stand out as not connected to the world in the same way as the other races (very much like the Hobbits in Tolkien). Where do they come from? Where were they during those ancient wars? It might be that these questions are not asked because no one cares, which is fine. But in this case, why is that?
Perhaps the story of the halfling (I will call them halfings as someone on the forum has suggested ;)) will be one of the legends that the players will learn as they travel the Forbidden Lands?
=D

Fragpuss

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 17:08

I like the description of the halflings as a race - makes them sound like a mix of the Stepford Wives and the rednecks in 'Deliverance' - could be fun to play. They do seem to be a bit 'adrift' in the mythology though, as others have noted, it would be good to see them with a historical anchor to the world otherwise they could just feel like they're in the game for the sake of it.

Maybe they could be an Elven 'project', a (failed?) attempt to make something in their own image, as part of their mission to populate the world - or maybe they're just proof that those stories as written aren't quite the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

King_Kull

Sat 06 Jan 2018, 17:14

Perhaps the creation of the half(l)ings are lost? They are there but nobody knows where they come from. I find this quite interesting and perhaps the characters can discover the secret of the creation of this race.
In 13th Age their is not a single explanation of their creation myth but every other race has one for them ;)
I am king!

Candacis

Thu 17 May 2018, 20:42

I just read through the short descriptions of the kins, but I have to say that not one of those excites me into playing them. Maybe I was hoping for something less generic fantasy or maybe the descriptions are just too short and too broad to get a real sense of what the difference is to the usual d&d, tolkien standard thing. Mostly the descriptions are so weird and mysterious that I have no idea what some of those things mean.
I know, it says there are more descriptions in the gamemasters guide, but as a player I am now pretty confused. Also, there is only 1 page about the setting. Not nearly enough to get me into the mood or to build a characters background story around it. Why is this in the gamemasters guide? I have the feeling that I can only do a bland, shallow character with the information I have. Any chance the description can be expanded?
My TOR houserules:
Key Memories and Key Relationships: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?p=79714
Journey Events Details: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=12126
Safe Haven: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=12132

Klas

Thu 17 May 2018, 21:43

It must be a matter of taste. I really like them!

negromaestro

Sat 19 May 2018, 19:51

I just read through the short descriptions of the kins, but I have to say that not one of those excites me into playing them. Maybe I was hoping for something less generic fantasy or maybe the descriptions are just too short and too broad to get a real sense of what the difference is to the usual d&d, tolkien standard thing. Mostly the descriptions are so weird and mysterious that I have no idea what some of those things mean.
I know, it says there are more descriptions in the gamemasters guide, but as a player I am now pretty confused. Also, there is only 1 page about the setting. Not nearly enough to get me into the mood or to build a characters background story around it. Why is this in the gamemasters guide? I have the feeling that I can only do a bland, shallow character with the information I have. Any chance the description can be expanded?
For a game advertised as a retro-fantasy, I am happy to see the races still remain close to the Tolkein version which of course were knocked-off from Nordic mythos (orcs, and trolls come are very Nordic). Plus, with your heroes having a 1-in-66 chance of dying in every combat round, you may be rolling up new characters more often than you have time to create immersive role play. 

Erzaad

Sun 20 May 2018, 02:01

How do you figure those odds?

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 20 May 2018, 08:34

I interpret that your concern more as lack of player information than concern with the races as such? The very foundation of this setting was to build it on the 1980-90 pictures containing elves, dwarves, halflings, ogres etc. I was however allowed to twist these kins and creatures any way I liked and feel fairly confident about the result. So again, the problem you percieve might be that it doesn't come through clearly to the players from start. This in part also is intentional. The inhabitants of Ravenland don't know much about their own world. They should of course be aquainted with their immediate surroundings and the GM should tell them the local version of things. Perhaps this can be made more clear.