Tomas
Site Admin

Re: Peoples and clans

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 11:26

Alright people, let's stay on topic and keep the discussion friendly and constructive. :)
Fria Ligan

Peter

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:04

Ah, okay thank you for the information. The next project will be Erik‘s iconic campaign - if it’s Snowsaga ;)
He he, Snowsaga is actually Trudvang. Erik's campaign is Femte Konfluxen - the Fifth Conflux. It was written back in the 80s but really pushed the envelope at the time. And is in my humble opinion still excellent. The setting is very rich with influences from all over the world, notably renaissance europe and bronze age mesopotamia. Fria Ligan went on to publish a highly regarded game based on the setting - called Svavelvinter after the first part of the campaign. http://frialigan.se/sv/games/svavelvinter/
The only bad news is that it is all in Swedish. There are a set of quick start rules in English, but that's it.
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

King_Kull

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:03

Ah, okay thank you for the information. The next project will be Erik‘s iconic campaign - if it’s Snowsaga ;)
He he, Snowsaga is actually Trudvang. Erik's campaign is Femte Konfluxen - the Fifth Conflux. It was written back in the 80s but really pushed the envelope at the time. And is in my humble opinion still excellent. The setting is very rich with influences from all over the world, notably renaissance europe and bronze age mesopotamia. Fria Ligan went on to publish a highly regarded game based on the setting - called Svavelvinter after the first part of the campaign. http://frialigan.se/sv/games/svavelvinter/
The only bad news is that it is all in Swedish. There are a set of quick start rules in English, but that's it.
That's sad :(
I am king!

9littlebees

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:14

That's sad :(
Indeed, sad. Sounds like a very cool setting. Maybe translating it for a Forbidden Lands alt-setting could be a new Strerch Goal if we pass 2M SEK? :) Would be a great example of how alt-settings could be made by others as part of the OGL. Probably a huge amount of work, though...
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Peter

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 16:50

Indeed, sad. Sounds like a very cool setting. Maybe translating it for a Forbidden Lands alt-setting could be a new Strerch Goal if we pass 2M SEK? :) Would be a great example of how alt-settings could be made by others as part of the OGL. Probably a huge amount of work, though...
Now that is a VERY interesting suggestion :) There's been talk about doing it on and off....
It's either that or you guys will just have to learn Swedish ;)
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

vandraren

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 18:01

I think that as many playable peoples as possible would be great!
At least human, elf, dwarf and orc should be there from the start. Then you can always add-on more peoples like lizardmen, minotaurs, kentaurs, (ducks?), halflings, insectoids, fungus-people in a cool weird-fantasy booklet! =)
Oh and "svartnissar" should be goblins I guess. And "svartalfer" hobgoblins maybe? Ogres and Trolls would also be cool to play at some point!

Harper

Thu 05 Oct 2017, 20:38

TBH, you do come across as "somewhat" abrasive and a know-it-all.
Abrasive is based on how you choose to perceive things, 
I've noticed over many years of internet, those people who believe their assumptions to be fact get upset the most,
Those that are open minded and withhold judgement due to a lack of facts, never get upset with me,
As for a know it all, nope, but I do have a wide range of interests, none of them being sports or soap operas...
You could be confusing confidence for arrogance?
So if you're not a know-it all, or not arrogant - why do you comment on how the world and races should be when, right from the start, you claim that no matter what, you're going to use your own setting?
You don't know why?
I'm just throwing ideas out there, to try to help, even if my ideas are not liked it might inspire another idea,
I share this for the same reasons I post my house rules here, if it makes the game more fun for anyone, job done,
I'm not stating how the world should be, just ideas, 
But it's funny you think that makes me an arrogant know it all, why would you see it that way?

negromaestro

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 23:28

So it has been over a week since the a message from Fria Ligan. Have we all settled on what races will be available to Players and what races will be restricted to a Bestiary of NPCs or monsters?

I assume the classic races of Humans, Elves and Dwarves are guaranteed Player races, because Forbidden Lands is a Retro-RPG after all. 

But do we have a final list of Player races yet?

King_Kull

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 23:41

So it has been over a week since the a message from Fria Ligan. Have we all settled on what races will be available to Players and what races will be restricted to a Bestiary of NPCs or monsters?

I assume the classic races of Humans, Elves and Dwarves are guaranteed Player races, because Forbidden Lands is a Retro-RPG after all. 

But do we have a final list of Player races yet?
Perhaps nothing official but we have vargfolk, goblins, orcs, ogres and half(l)ings mentioned.
I am king!

negromaestro

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:36

Ah, interesting, so with the information so far, Players can be heroes from any of the seven races below (that is a good number already):

Humans (standard, of course)
Elves (the idealized humans)
Dwarves
Orcs (no longer natural enemies of humans and elves, right?)
Ogres (will these be like the giants?)
Vargfolk (wolf-like)
Halflings (Tolkein's hobbits?)