Brior
Topic Author

Peoples and clans

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:25

I'll start this thread in case anybody want's to discuss the intelligent (?) beings of Ravenland.

silverfoxdmt73

Re: Peoples and clans

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:30

Certainly..

The information so far indicates that humans, elves, dwarves and orcs are present. 

Are there any other races that populate the Forbidden Lands that will make an appearance? Are the four main races all available as PCs?

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:35

René (King_Kull here I assume) asked about the halflings. There will be halflings in Ravenland, but they haven't been fleshed out yet. I have an idea that I first need to clear with FL. I will meet them this week.

There will also be trolls. I don't think you'll be able to play them initially though, they're pretty stupid, bordering to animal and of course brutish. Also I have a pretty wild idea concerning them. We'll get back to that.

Harper

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:38

I hope there are a broad spectrum of races to play, the more the merrier,

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:38

The information so far indicates that humans, elves, dwarves and orcs are present. 

Are there any other races that populate the Forbidden Lands that will make an appearance? Are the four main races all available as PCs?
The plan is that all these four will be playable from start. Potentially playable other peoples at this point are ogres, halflings, vargfolk, ”neslingar” (svartnissar) – sort of goblins, black elfs and probably some more. Also there will be several options within the four main peoples as they have several factions each.

silverfoxdmt73

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:46

Minotaurs?

How about some other creatures based on larger animals, such as bears, rhinos, elephants? Or is this taking things too far from the original FL vision?

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:53

Nobigdiel at KS concerning half elves:
"...proud half elven druids..."
I have never been a fan of half-elves in rpgs (or half-orcs, half-dwarves, half-halflings...). It just smells of "I can't make up my mind, I want to play both".
If all the humanoid races can interbreed, there should be a whole spectrum of mixes, like Galadrin Hobbins-Ugrukk the half-elf-quarter-halfling-quarter-orc.

My answer:
Concerning the specific issue of half-elves and other mixes: the peoples left hostages with each other when the land was divided 1200 years ago. Where talking about the offspring from these. It's not the case that different genera normally interbreed in Ravenland. Since elves were left among the humans and humans were left among the elves, there are two specific breed of half-elves that generally detest each other due to cultural differences.

Brior
Topic Author

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:57

Minotaurs?

How about some other creatures based on larger animals, such as bears, rhinos, elephants? Or is this taking things too far from the original FL vision?
Minotaurs yes, but they are in this setting a breed constructed from demonic practices. This does of course not prevent anybody from playing one. On the contrary I see all kinds of interesting complications.

Beast: don't really know yet, that is: not decided. Spontaneously I would stick to more northern animals not to make this Disneyland. No problem for me with hairy elephants and rhinos though. FL decides.

King_Kull

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 12:14

Beastmen? Hm, for me it’s very Warhammeresque. There will be Wolfmen, if I recall correctly, but Rhinos and Elephants - or other animals - steroids TMNT for my taste. Therefore no ducks ;)

Who has given the elder people the savage orcs? The Raven God? Or were the orcs created by the humans?

Especially interested in Erik‘s take of the halfling as the are normally an uninteresting race to me. But perhaps they have a nice twist? Are they a mix of an old forgotten race and demons perhaps? They look like lively cherubs but they are hiding a dark secret...

Sadly no troll... :( Was only interested in this race as a playable character because I‘m a Troll - as a pledge level ;)
I am king!

Peter

Sun 01 Oct 2017, 12:17

The plan is that all these four will be playable from start. Potentially playable other peoples at this point are ogres, halflings, vargfolk, ”neslingar” (svartnissar) – sort of goblins, black elfs and probably some more. Also there will be several options within the four main peoples as they have several factions each.
By black elf, you mean Svartalf, right? Not Dark Elves? 
Depending on the concept you may prefer keeping the Swedish Svartalf (which gives it a norse mythology ring) or go for hobgoblin in terms of translation
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor