King_Kull
Topic Author

Undead

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 10:34

I think there will be skeletons and zombies? Will there be ghosts and vampires?

Erik’s answer
There are undead of different kinds. Some people dying naturally in the villages don't come to rest properly and still walk around while not being hostile. These are claimed by the Rust church to make more useful undead.
I am king!

silverfoxdmt73

Re: Undead

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 10:42

Sounds promising. I hope there is some guidance for creating your own creatures. It would be nice to be able to help 'balance' creatures against the capabilities of the players.

Brior

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:04

Sounds promising. I hope there is some guidance for creating your own creatures. It would be nice to be able to help 'balance' creatures against the capabilities of the players.
I'm pretty sure there will, also that you may play as a necromancer*. Note that I'm not saying that all undead are created from restless dead in the villages, just that this is one established method.
(* Why is this called ”necromancy”? Animating the dead should be ”necrokinetics” to me, while ”necromancy” should be the ability to question the dead.)

Peter

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:29

(* Why is this called ”necromancy”? Animating the dead should be ”necrokinetics” to me, while ”necromancy” should be the ability to question the dead.)
As befits the land of the Raven God:
"if I see up in a tree
a hanged corpse swinging,
I carve
and colour the runes
that the man moves
and speaks with me."
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Harper

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:37

The main bad guys in my D&D game were undead, my favourite bad guy to pound on lol (they are already dead, so it's not like you are killing them right?)

I hope this game has plenty of undead, (demons, not so much)

While the term "necromancy" is technically divination with the dead, the more common usage covers and kind of undead magic,

King_Kull
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:06

Necrokinetics doesn’t have the vile and dark ring of Necromancy ;)
I am king!

King_Kull
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:09

I‘m also interested in the background of the undead. Are they all created by Necromancers? Think not as Erik wrote that sometimes the dead will not stay dead. Like that idea.
And will there be liches and vampires?
I am king!

Brior

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 14:00

I‘m also interested in the background of the undead. Are they all created by Necromancers? Think not as Erik wrote that sometimes the dead will not stay dead. Like that idea.
And will there be liches and vampires?
Combining classic necromancy, the ”naturally” restless dead and demonic possibilities, there's really no technical limit. I'm more concerned about putting the undead in context, building interesting and believable scenarios and challenges. Also I should mention that the elves in this setting are a little shady and basically immortal, being able to regenerate from their ruby cores even if chopped to pieces. You might encounter something bad, lich-like down that road as well (I liked the concept of the bored immortal vampires in ”Interview with the vampire”)
So many possibilities and only one book to squeeze them into! ;-)

9littlebees

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 15:33

Personally, I don't get excited about the undead, seems a trifle cliché these days.  Weird monsters (including weird undead - the ruby core elves sound awesome) get me excited, but I won't be using any "traditional" zombies, animated skeletons, lich or vampires in any of my games.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

King_Kull
Topic Author

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 15:36

So many possibilities and only one book to squeeze them into! ;-)
That is a cry for more sourcebooks!!! :)
I am king!