9littlebees
Topic Author

Which setting will you play in?

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:25

Just interested to see which settings people are thinking about using Forbidden Lands for.
  • Do you plan to use the setting presented in the book?
  • A different published setting (Warhammer's Old World, Dark Sun, Midgard, Hellfrost, etc)?
  • Your own homebrew setting?
Let us know what you plan on using, and why!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Fenhorn

Re: Which setting will you play in?

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:51

I will use the Forgotten Land setting in my campaign. I love to explore new settings. If or perhaps when I play a second campaign I will have some options. Either to use the FL setting again or to use Forgotten Realm, HârnWorld or use Trachoria (a setting by Erik Granström for the game Svavelvinter).

Edit: It will not be the same of course since the maps are already known in those settings but the backstory for the various places are not not so the players will learn about that when they move from place to place adventuring. In FR I even have some campaign books and adventure modules that I haven't played.

But (hopefully) FL has released another campaign book with another map & stickers (across the sea or something) to be discovered). In that case I will probably play that instead (new things are more interesting).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

9littlebees
Topic Author

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 11:13

I will use the Forgotten Land setting in my campaign. I love to explore new settings. If or perhaps when I play a second campaign I will have some options. Either to use the FL setting again or to use Forgotten Realm, HârnWorld or use Trachoria (a setting by Erik Granström for the game Svavelvinter).

Edit: It will not be the same of course since the maps are already known in those settings but the backstory for the various places are not not so the players will learn about that when they move from place to place adventuring. In FR I even have some campaign books and adventure modules that I haven't played.

But (hopefully) FL has released another campaign book with another map & stickers (across the sea or something) to be discovered). In that case I will probably play that instead (new things are more interesting).
Yeah, I'm very interested in the FL setting, and new campaign / setting books would be awesome.  If for some reason I (or my players) don't want to use the FL setting, I'll probably use my own homebrew setting (weird fantasy Europe ruled by Norse Empire).
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

silverfoxdmt73

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:25

To begin with I intend to use the published FL setting, but I certainly plan (especially if the OGL goal is reached) to create my own setting to play in. 

King_Kull

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:38

I will use the FL setting. I created an own world that I use with Savage World. Don’t know if I will use the rules with this setting. Then I have to make a better map of the world and I‘m not so good at map making ;)
I am king!

Patrick

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 13:34

I generally create my own settings, but I wont decide until I see what the default FL setting is like.  If they keep it very open and minimalist, I will be able to use it by just plugging-in my own themes where necessary.  If they go deep, as they did with Coriolis, that may be too difficult. I would then have to keep it all or lose it all.  It's too soon to tell.

Peter

Thu 28 Sep 2017, 13:47

I'm very keen to explore the Forbidden Land itself but certainly also curious to see what support exists for other settings, or even tabula rasa style set ups, where the group effectively creates the map and game world from scratch through exploration (a little like MY0).

I'd also be curious to see if it is possible to use FL to do nordic fantasy right (although there is already the excellent Järn by Krister Sundelin in this genre for us Swedish-speakers). Empty woods, trolls, much more focus on wilderness survival. Isolated farmsteads instead of villages and towns.

But all that's for later. Ravenland looks VERY cool and I look forward to learning more about it. Once the blood-mist and early kickstarter-mist has lifted ;)
Check out my BoL heroic migration period hack - Barbarians of the Dark Ages
Kolla mitt ny-klassika BRP-derivat - Monster och Människor

Harper

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 09:41

Just interested to see which settings people are thinking about using Forbidden Lands for.
  • Do you plan to use the setting presented in the book?
  • A different published setting (Warhammer's Old World, Dark Sun, Midgard, Hellfrost, etc)?
  • Your own homebrew setting?
Let us know what you plan on using, and why!
I started on the D&D basic box set when I was like 12, 
It's going to be there, the freedom and mystery, no complications, 

Harper

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 09:44

I generally create my own settings, but I wont decide until I see what the default FL setting is like.  If they keep it very open and minimalist, I will be able to use it by just plugging-in my own themes where necessary.  If they go deep, as they did with Coriolis, that may be too difficult. I would then have to keep it all or lose it all.  It's too soon to tell.
I think FL is like a pocket area, so you could plug in to any setting, 
Any detail would be localised to that area,

Brior

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:07

I think FL is like a pocket area, so you could plug in to any setting, 
Any detail would be localised to that area,
While this is true and a good idea, we do have some notions about the neighboring regions and there might be expansions eventually. Just saying.