Sherman
Topic Author

Lands of Perpetual Suffering?

Fri 15 Feb 2019, 08:24

I was wondering what others experiences are with the game. I'm only a couple games in, but I have one character with a damaged shoulder and another with the jitters, both suffering for six days.

The first time I asked for the players to roll for food consumption, three of three dropped to a d6 food, then one poor camp later and they had the last of their stores eaten by weevils. Set off the next morning to fail a lead the way and get lost in the fog, pay a ferryman half their starting money to cross a river, and they finally land in The Hollows with no food, bruised and battered, and broke. 

Has this been your experience? I think it's hysterical personally, and the players seem to be getting a kick out of it, but it wasn't my intention to make them feel completely feeble out of the gate.

9littlebees

Re: Lands of Perpetual Suffering?

Fri 15 Feb 2019, 12:49

Sounds like your group got the premium experience! While they might have had a few unlucky rolls, at least they're learning to be cautious at the start of the campaign!
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

TomPleasant

Fri 15 Feb 2019, 12:50

It's definitely meant to be difficult! It's all part of the old school beliefs that 'Challenge is good' and 'Expect to die'. Compare that with the heroic fantasy of the newer editions of D&D where it's extremely difficult to die and travelling is more about having fights with random encounters than about being savaged by a squirrel when hunting if you roll poorly.

hperantunes

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 01:21

I've run 13 hours so far, distributed between 3 game sessions. In-game, 4 days and a half have passed.

The first thing my players did was to pick a place in the map for The Hollows and they choose to start the campaign next to the village. Only one of the characters had any coin as they arrived there and they had to literally beg for food.

Apparently, my players had more luck in their dice rolls than your players - now they have food and some coin but one of the characters is suffering from an impaled shoulder and everyone is still on the edge.

I did tell my players in advance that this game is grittier than D&D and they seem to be enjoying it. :)