TomPleasant
Topic Author

Horses and resources

Mon 11 Feb 2019, 17:07

Does anyone both keeping a resource die for food for PCs’ horses? On plains they can feed themselves but they would need to carry their own food in forests and mountains.

Magnapocryphe

Re: Horses and resources

Fri 22 Feb 2019, 19:34

I consider that food resource is needed only for carnivorous mounts, because they can't hunt freely.
For your herbivorous mounts, you have let them time to feed upon the land ;-)

This allow you to create a growing pression on their food when in mountains for example, because there is no food for herbivorous... then PC need to prevent that ^^
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

9littlebees

Sat 23 Feb 2019, 18:35

Nope, that's a step too far in my book. Herbivore mounts will simply graze when the party stops to rest. You have to ask yourself what adding food tracking for mounts actually adds to the game other than additional bookkeeping. For me, the answer is "nothing", but for your table this might help immersion, in which case a resource die makes perfect sense.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Röteborgaren

Sat 23 Feb 2019, 19:30

Since our campaign uses an almost fully automized daily income/upkeep system, we've made horses an additional expense.

It adds a lot to the immersion, honestly. Another thing for players to keep in mind when buying a horse, can they afford to keep it? Makes the horses animals rather than just another piece of equipment.

One PC also had a crazy good artifact shield that required to be fed daily. He eventually sold it to another player who gifted it to a love interest NPC. But again, the upkeep actually gave a lot of character to the shield.
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

Magnapocryphe

Sun 24 Feb 2019, 09:40

I agree Rotenborgaren.
Mount hold many stuffs and allows pc to travel far and quickly. It's something that need to bé remembered to them, by making them Real.
Then if i prefer to tell them to not forget to think about their mount, but for herbivorous, in grassland or in forest, i think they Can manage their own if given Time enough.
^^
Kill the Buddha.

Valyar

Fri 01 Mar 2019, 13:40

I would not add this additional overhead in my game unless the adventurers are in area what is inhospitable to the mounts. This will then make things real when they realize that the mount is not able to find food and water... :) Anything extra is just more rollplay than roleplay.

Magnapocryphe

Fri 01 Mar 2019, 15:07

That's my choice too ^^
Except for carnivorous mount, as they can't find their food without hunting freely.

As a survival fantasy game, mount are really important to the PC. Then, it's not absurd to consider that it has not to be only one stuff in the inventory of the PC, but a part of the cahracter that need to be real in his life... I don't see this as rolling for rolling. The purpose is quite clear, and is an immersive one, not just a rule to rule... I don't consider that being rollply rather than roleplay :-)
Kill the Buddha.