Devil
Topic Author

Monster movement

Mon 11 Feb 2019, 06:12

I searched for this, but can't seem to find a thread. What does the Movement (sometimes referred to as Movement Rate - I assume that's an error) for Monsters signify in the Bestiary? At first I assumed it was just the Move skill, but now I'm not so sure... did I miss something?

Fenhorn

Re: Monster movement

Mon 11 Feb 2019, 06:44

Movement (or movement rate) in the monster descriptions is the same Movement (Rate) that is listed in the animal list. It is how many segment you can move in combat (Players Handbook p.115). Most humanoids have one, riding animals have two, etc. So for one RUN action a riding horse can move two segments (so if he was at Near range he is now at Long range).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Devil
Topic Author

Re: Monster movement

Mon 11 Feb 2019, 15:52

Wow, I totally missed that section the first time around. Thanks.

On that subject - how would you account for the swooping attacks of a flier, like a wyvern? When it attacks from the air, is it considered engaged at Arms Length, and therefore has to Retreat to fly away again? That doesn’t feel right, and against a group, would put it in a situation where it could be hit multiple times from other opponents before its initiative came around again (ie, treating it exactly as though it was on the ground, locked in combat). Most games have some provision for such a “fly through charge” attack from a hard-to-hit flying opponent. Anything in the rules about that?