Eldhierta

Re: Profession talents

Sun 20 Jan 2019, 12:23

Neccroing an old thread of mine from the Swedish forums. I had this idea that while only Sorcerers and Druids could have magic from the start, everyone should have the chance to learn (if they felt so inclined) once the game was running. This left the mage-classes a bit gimped, however, since they lost their unique touch. So I posited that there should be a new set of talents for these classes, renaming the Sorcerer as the Scholar and the Druid as the Warden. As all other classes they get three paths to choose from, one being a school of magic from the old version of their classes, the other two as described below. I know this isn't what the main discussion in this thread is about (multi-professions) but I think it's a good way of giving the chance of wielding magic to everyone without forcing them into two professions, while still enhancing the "magical" professions that already exist.

PATH OF KNOWLEDGE (Scholar)
You are well versed in the ancient knowledge that permeates the Ravenlands, the myths and mysteries that tell the history of the land. The things you don't know about the Forbidden Lands are not worth knowing:

TIER 1:
By spending one point of Willpower you receive a +1 modification on a skill roll of your choice. Your thorough education have given you theoretical knowledge of how to perform the skill in the most optimal way. Theoretically. May also be used to give another player a bonus for their roll in addition to the bonus for being helped (with this talent a PC can get up to four bonus die if being helped by three characters + a PC using the Path of Knowledge).

TIER 2:
When you roll for LORE to glean knowledge of an old ruin or an artifact you can spend one point of Willpower to automatically succeed with the roll.

TIER 3:
In a social conflict with a larger group or if you are trying to convince an opponent of the validity of your argument you can spend a number of Willpower Points to confuse your opponents by quoting obscure information and facts from one of your old tomes. Each WP causes one point of confusion in an opponent of your choice.

PATH OF RITUALS (Scholar)
You are a master in the use of rituals and different ingredients for magic. A prepared magician is a wise magician:

TIER 1:
By spending a point of Willpower when performing a ritual demanding an ingredient that you lack, you may alter the ritual after the current situation and be allowed to perform it anyway. Willpower Points for the ritual are spent separately.

TIER 2:
When you use an ingredient to cast a spell you may spend one point of Willpower to tripple the effect of the ingredient. The spell is bolstered with three Power Levels instead of one. This tier may not be combined with tier 1. The spent Willpower Point is not added to the pool when rolling for magical misshaps.

TIER 3:
By spending Willpower when witnessing another sorcerer cast a spell or ritual you learn the spell or ritual automatically. The cost is one point of Willpower per level of the spell or ritual.

PATH OF NATURE (Warden)
You are one with nature and its power and strength courses through your body. You are the herald of life:

TIER 1:
When rolling for HEALING you may spend Willpower Points to automatically succeed, as nature provides you with the tools you need. Each point of Willpower cures one point of Misery in the afflicted attribute. You may attempt the roll and spend WP for this talent if the roll fails.

TIER 2:
If you are attacked by wild animals you can spend Willpower to automatically soothe them. Each point of Willpower pacifies a number of individuals equal to your EMP (GM may need to modify depending on the size and ferocity of the animals)

TIER 3:
By spending Willpower while travelling the land you can cut the time it takes your group to traverse a zone in half. One point of Willpower per zone. Nature clears a path for its champion.

PATH OF THE WARDEN (Warden)
Nature is under attack. By demons and their spawn, by the disrespectful intruders who cut and burn to build their hideous settlements. You are the protector of life, warden of nature:

TIER 1:
By spending a point of Willpower you automatically succeed in HIDING in wooded lands. Additional Willpower Points can be spent to HIDE your companions as well.

TIER 2:
You are used to fighting under the canopy of the forest and may spend a point of Willpower to distract your enemy while fighting in the forest. Roots trip him up, leaves slip underfoot, putting him out of balance. As a result he receives a -1 modifier to all rolls until the battle ends.

TIER 3:
When fighting abominations against nature such as the undead, demons and creatures with the demonic taint you can use the power of nature to destroy them. Each point of Willpower spent causes two points of damage on a target of your choice (that fits the description).

May need some balancing/fleshing out, but it's a start.
Last edited by Eldhierta on Mon 21 Jan 2019, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Röteborgaren

Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:24

Neccroing an old thread of mine from the Swedish forums. I had this idea that while only Sorcerers and Druids could have magic from the start, everyone should have the chance to learn (if they felt so inclined) once the game was running. This left the mage-classes a bit gimped, however, since they lost their unique touch. So I posited that there should be a new set of talents for these classes, renaming the Sorcerer as the Scholar and the Druid as the Warden.
If I ever feel the need to give all characters access to magic, this seems like a really smart way of going about it. Good idea! 
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

Magnapocryphe

Mon 21 Jan 2019, 12:34

Wow ! So much to say! Thank you all! :-)

@Rötborgaren :
I totally agree with you!
This is the reason why I like so much this mechanic.

But you're talking about Character creation... and I am talking about Character evolution... :-)
I mean, I don't expect my players to choose for EVER their job/role. They will meet many NPCs, and maybe PCs, then they should have some personnal evolution making them to change their view on the world, and their will. Changing profession is then something they may want.
I'm not talking about some optimisation choice, I'm really talking about the adventure. I don't play Medfan in a LotR way, where you stay in your role for it is an epic adventure without anything around, I prefer focus on epic decisions, with many lifetime with small adventures around. Then PC's way of thinking evolve.

For that I don't understand with a rogue couldn't get the path of Gold or Lies, during his life, if it becomes relevant with his acts and choices.
And maybe become a Peddler then, stopping his criminal activities for being a Master of a guild, and becoming more an underground Peddler or anything else...

But it's true that Path are really more specific and not so needed to be a warrior or anything else. And as they cost WP, it's a good thing I think !

I don't consider this like a creation option. Actually, it's to be a hidden option for the PC. If they go on this way, I will manage it like this, but I will never tell them it's possible...

@Aldorf
Wits+Charisma? You mean Empathy? XD

@Heldierta
My question isn't really turned toward Magic paths, but it's true that it causes some questions about "Magic for everybody".

I haven't thought about my choice to answer this question... but your idea is really great!!!
I'll keep this in mind to choose wether or not magic should be accessible to anyone. :-)
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

Röteborgaren

Mon 21 Jan 2019, 17:10

But you're talking about Character creation... and I am talking about Character evolution... :-)
Well for character evolution there's a ton of general talents and skills to learn. Like I mentioned, these talents can be just as, if not more, character defining than the profession talents. If your rogue player wants to start acting like a peddler he doesn't need the Peddler talents to do it. Get the general talents related to Manipulation, max out his rank in Manipulation, and start acting like a peddler, simple. 

But, rules are more like guidelines than actual rules. Do what works for your group. I'm just speaking in defense of the game because I don't find the lack of multiclassing a flaw in the design.
Resources for Forbidden Lands
Slumpgen NPC Generator for Android (EN, SE)
Collection of Houserules (EN, SE)
Fobbot the Discord Dice Bot (EN, SE)

Magnapocryphe

Fri 22 Feb 2019, 19:10

I'm back here, and I can see that I missed some answers...

Rotenborgaren:
It's okay Of course ;-) Actually, I don't really attack the rules, I'm more trying to understand choices that have been made, since I don't understand them ^^

Heldierta:
I've depply thought about it,and I made my mind.

I consider magic should be practiced by anyone that takes the risk. Because it is hard to avoid mishaps without a master. And it's hard to have a master that accept to teach you.
The cost is enough to me.
In addition, magic casters can wield an armor, a shield, a sword, they can lie, sneak, steal, etc.... but others can't use their magic. I'm not fond of this secret fact that make magic attuned to specific people with no reasons. Things have to be the same for all, and a sorcerer can rise from the bottom of the society, or the top.
Finally, to buy the talent will weaken other skills or talents of the character, then it is not so unbalanced...

Then I open magic paths to all the professions, and Sorcerer and Druids will use your new paths (If I need to change one, I'll share it here ;-) ).

Thank you very much for this idea! ;-)
If you see the Buddha on the road,
Kill the Buddha.

Eldhierta

Fri 22 Feb 2019, 21:02

I'm back here, and I can see that I missed some answers...

Rotenborgaren:
It's okay Of course ;-) Actually, I don't really attack the rules, I'm more trying to understand choices that have been made, since I don't understand them ^^

Heldierta:
I've depply thought about it,and I made my mind.

I consider magic should be practiced by anyone that takes the risk. Because it is hard to avoid mishaps without a master. And it's hard to have a master that accept to teach you.
The cost is enough to me.
In addition, magic casters can wield an armor, a shield, a sword, they can lie, sneak, steal, etc.... but others can't use their magic. I'm not fond of this secret fact that make magic attuned to specific people with no reasons. Things have to be the same for all, and a sorcerer can rise from the bottom of the society, or the top.
Finally, to buy the talent will weaken other skills or talents of the character, then it is not so unbalanced...

Then I open magic paths to all the professions, and Sorcerer and Druids will use your new paths (If I need to change one, I'll share it here ;-) ).

Thank you very much for this idea! ;-)
You're very welcome, please tell me how it plays out :)