Toothadder
Topic Author

Path of the Fist

Mon 14 Jan 2019, 01:16

I wanted to provide a replacement for the Fighter's Path of the Enemy, since I probably won't use hidden combinations. I wanted to add something with a bit of a Monk flavor, but staying grounded in the setting style. I am not sure if it is too weak or too powerful. The Talent isn't very useful against monsters, but I see those as being somewhat rare in my campaign. I am also not sure if what I have done to the action economy will work. 

Path of the Fist (Replacement for Path of the Enemy)
You practice an unorthodox close combat fighting style that eschews the use of a shield and instead combines rapid slashes, stabs, punches and kicks together to test your opponent's defenses. You see through your opponent, and anticipate his next move to deliver debilitating maneuvers before it happens.

Rank 1
When you hit with a close combat attack, you can DISARM or SHOVE your opponent by spending WP.  Every WP you spend counts as one 6.

Rank 2
When you hit with a close combat attack, you can GRAPPLE your opponent by spending WP.  Every WP you spend counts as one 6.

Rank 3
When a grappled opponent attempts to BREAK FREE, you can spend WP on the opposed MELEE roll. Every WP you spend counts as one 6. You can roll first and use this talent if you fail.

Eldhierta

Re: Path of the Fist

Mon 14 Jan 2019, 12:17

I wanted to provide a replacement for the Fighter's Path of the Enemy, since I probably won't use hidden combinations. I wanted to add something with a bit of a Monk flavor, but staying grounded in the setting style. I am not sure if it is too weak or too powerful. The Talent isn't very useful against monsters, but I see those as being somewhat rare in my campaign. I am also not sure if what I have done to the action economy will work. 

Path of the Fist (Replacement for Path of the Enemy)
You practice an unorthodox close combat fighting style that eschews the use of a shield and instead combines rapid slashes, stabs, punches and kicks together to test your opponent's defenses. You see through your opponent, and anticipate his next move to deliver debilitating maneuvers before it happens.

Rank 1
When you hit with a close combat attack, you can DISARM or SHOVE your opponent by spending WP.  Every WP you spend counts as one 6.

Rank 2
When you hit with a close combat attack, you can GRAPPLE your opponent by spending WP.  Every WP you spend counts as one 6.

Rank 3
When a grappled opponent attempts to BREAK FREE, you can spend WP on the opposed MELEE roll. Every WP you spend counts as one 6. You can roll first and use this talent if you fail.
Looks fun :) Question: does the character roll for the DISARM/SHOVE/GRAPPLE or is success only determined by the amount of WP spent, countered by the enemy's PARRY/DODGE?

Toothadder
Topic Author

Tue 15 Jan 2019, 03:58

I was working on the assumption that the Disarm/Shove/Grapple success is only determined by how many WP you spend. It is similar to some of the other talents that let you deal extra damage by spending your WP (like extra successes). And in the Corliolis RPG you can use extra successes to perform these moves, so I just combined the two ideas. I also wanted to avoid adding more dice rolls.

In terms of your opponent's reaction, since the trigger is "when you hit with a close combat attack", my original intention was that they can't further defend after they have either decided not to defend against the attack, or failed their first attempt. One of my reasons for this is that if an opponent did not defend against the initial hit, I think spending 1 WP to take away an opponent's next fast action is a pretty poor result for the player.

Eldhierta

Tue 15 Jan 2019, 04:35

Ah, and the additional WPs for SHOVE or DISARM are for enemies with higher STR and for two-handed weapons? Smort! But it shouldn't be needed for the second rank, since you already require a successful hit to allow spending a WP to GRAPPLE. Anyway, cool talent :D