RichardPF
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed 25 Jul 2018, 04:56

Starting Attributes of 5

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 06:51

The Player's Handbook states (p.32): "[font=IM_FELL_Great_Primer_Roman]However, you can assign 5 points to the attribute listed as the “key attribute” for your kin or your profession."[/font]

[font=-webkit-standard]Does that mean if the key attributes for your kin and profession are different, you can assign 5 points to both of those attributes? Or can you only assign a single attribute a 5, choosing one of your key attributes? [/font]
 
Leperkaan
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon 07 Jan 2019, 13:22

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 08:50

I think the or in the sentence answers that.

"for your kin or your profession" :)
 
User avatar
Dudde
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 16:49
Location: Södertälje

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 09:01

To clarify: Kin and Profession key attributes are different? Then you can put 5 in one of them, max 4 in the other. Key attribute is the same? Then you may put 5, or even 6 in it if you wish.
"Whenever I encounter a problem I can't solve, I throw a molotov-cocktail at it, and then I have a NEW problem instead."
 
User avatar
andarp
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat 24 Mar 2018, 15:32

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Wed 09 Jan 2019, 23:24

Dudde wrote:
To clarify: Kin and Profession key attributes are different? Then you can put 5 in one of them, max 4 in the other. Key attribute is the same? Then you may put 5, or even 6 in it if you wish.

I'm not sure the rules are intended to work like this. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be able to put 5 in two attributes or 6 in one. If not, picking a kin and profession with different key attributes would actually give you less options than picking ones with the same, which seems weird to me.
 
Maliloki
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue 30 Jan 2018, 18:35

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 00:50

You needed to keep reading that section on pg32.

"STARTING SCORES: When you create your player character, you can distribute a number of points across your attributes. How many points is determined by your age – see the table below. You can assign no less than 2 and no more than 4 points to any attribute. However, you can assign 5 points to the attribute listed as the “key attribute” for your kin or your profession. If the same attribute is key for both your kin and your profession, you can assign up to 6 points to this attribute."

Basically each key attribute gives you a +1 to the max value of that attribute.
 
User avatar
Dudde
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 16:49
Location: Södertälje

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 09:20

andarp wrote:
Dudde wrote:
To clarify: Kin and Profession key attributes are different? Then you can put 5 in one of them, max 4 in the other. Key attribute is the same? Then you may put 5, or even 6 in it if you wish.

I'm not sure the rules are intended to work like this. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be able to put 5 in two attributes or 6 in one. If not, picking a kin and profession with different key attributes would actually give you less options than picking ones with the same, which seems weird to me.

How does it give you LESS options? If your kin and profession have the same key attribute, you can put 5 or 6 in that attribute only. If they have different key attributes, then you get to pick any one of them to have a 5 in. That IS more options.
The thing is, 2-4 is the normal span of any attribute. It is an extraordinary privilige to be allowed to put 5 in one.
"Whenever I encounter a problem I can't solve, I throw a molotov-cocktail at it, and then I have a NEW problem instead."
 
User avatar
andarp
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat 24 Mar 2018, 15:32

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 11:26

Dudde wrote:
andarp wrote:
Dudde wrote:
To clarify: Kin and Profession key attributes are different? Then you can put 5 in one of them, max 4 in the other. Key attribute is the same? Then you may put 5, or even 6 in it if you wish.

I'm not sure the rules are intended to work like this. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be able to put 5 in two attributes or 6 in one. If not, picking a kin and profession with different key attributes would actually give you less options than picking ones with the same, which seems weird to me.

How does it give you LESS options? If your kin and profession have the same key attribute, you can put 5 or 6 in that attribute only. If they have different key attributes, then you get to pick any one of them to have a 5 in. That IS more options.
The thing is, 2-4 is the normal span of any attribute. It is an extraordinary privilige to be allowed to put 5 in one.

Fair enough - perhaps "fewer options" isn't the right way to put it. But I do find it weird that you are allowed less of an extreme (one 6 vs one 5) if you split your key attributes between kin and profession.
 
User avatar
baylox
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri 28 Feb 2014, 13:15

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 12:35

One choice we have is having two attributes at 5 (split key attributes), instead of one at 6 and the rest at maximum 4. 
 
User avatar
Dudde
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun 28 Jan 2018, 16:49
Location: Södertälje

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 13:13

baylox wrote:
One choice we have is having two attributes at 5 (split key attributes), instead of one at 6 and the rest at maximum 4. 

If you house-rule it - I have no problem with that.
The way I read the rules, though, it sounds more like this: All characters have attributes rated from 2 to 4. Only one attribute may be above 4, if it is the key attribute to your Kin or Profession. If the attribute is key to both kin and profession, it can be a 6. Otherwise it may only be a 5. But still only one attribute above 4.
I will run my campaign with this interpretation. If my players want to make characters with two attributes at 5, then they will have to find another GM.
"Whenever I encounter a problem I can't solve, I throw a molotov-cocktail at it, and then I have a NEW problem instead."
 
lupex
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 13:16

Re: Starting Attributes of 5

Thu 10 Jan 2019, 14:11

Its the wording that has caused confusion as it states "or" but I would say that it should be "and".

In reality if a player wants to set two attributes at 5 or one at 6, then this will reduce the points available to spend on the rest of his attributes, as long as the player is aware of the implications of this (effects of being broken), then I wouldn't have a problem if it fits with their character concept.
GZIP: Off