rcrowder
Topic Author

Food Rot

Tue 08 Jan 2019, 19:19

While the book is pretty clear on how long vegetables, meat, grain and flour last last it is less clear on Food. But the Root Cellar also appears to affect food.

In the ROOT CELLAR: GRAIN, FLOUR, MEAT, VEGETABLES, and FOOD can be stored ten times longer without spoiling(see page 192).

How long would you say Food Lasts?  Considering the longest lasting food product currently is grain/flour, I personally would say prepared Food also lasts a Month?  I cant imagine it will come up all that often, but just processing through thoughts about it.

What are your thoughts?  Or am I missing a section that actually says how long Food lasts?

Fenhorn

Re: Food Rot

Tue 08 Jan 2019, 20:15

I am not an expert in this but I will make it simple. Cooked Meat, Vegetables and Fish will have a shelf life of about a Week if it ever comes up.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

thebwt

Tue 08 Jan 2019, 21:44

For the food consumable, this should be abstracted to the resource die. When you lose a die it's not just you ate it, it could also be going bad.

Basically that should handle standard style gameplay loop as per consumables advised on gm guide pg. 11.

If you want to emphasize survival, maybe do events where "bugs break into your food stores" and you have to roll survival to salvage some of it. But as the guide advises, try to find balance that maintains your fun. 

Fenhorn

Tue 08 Jan 2019, 22:09

For the food consumable, this should be abstracted to the resource die. When you lose a die it's not just you ate it, it could also be going bad.

Basically that should handle standard style gameplay loop as per consumables advised on gm guide pg. 11.

If you want to emphasize survival, maybe do events where "bugs break into your food stores" and you have to roll survival to salvage some of it. But as the guide advises, try to find balance that maintains your fun. 
He is talking about how long Food can be stored (not the food you are carrying with you). I is mentioned in the Function Root Cellar that Grain, Flour, Meat, Vegetables, and Food can be stored ten times longer without spoiling. Meat, Fish, etc. has shelf life mentioned in the gear list but not for Food. We both said that this will not come up that often since Food and when it goes bad is dealt with the Journey rules. But what if you cook 20 units of Meat into 20 steps of Food, then you take 4 steps (0 to d6 to d8 to d10 to d12) of Food and go out on an adventure. What is the shelf life of the 16 steps of Food left behind?
Again, this will hardly come up, but I would say a week if just stored hanging in the kitchen, longer in a root cellar.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

thebwt

Tue 08 Jan 2019, 23:55

oh my mistake, carry on. A clarification on this would be useful for sieges and such.