andarp
Topic Author

Tracking someone

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 12:02

There are no rules in the books regarding tracking, though tracking is often mentioned as an activity the adventurers would do. The wolfin racial talent is also very focused on tracking prey. Any input on how you are handling tracking? The obvious roll for it is survival, and perhaps tracking is something that can be done as an activity while traveling the map (just like leading the way, scouting, foraging for food etc). I feel like the person who is leading the way also should do the tracking, or it would be a bit strange. Perhaps tracking someone or something can be baked into the roll for leading the way, with modifiers?

There are a bunch of rules for hunting, however all of that seems to pertain to felling wild animals for meat and pelts. On the other hand I feel like any talent that gives you modifiers to hunting should also give you the same modifiers to tracking prey over long distances. Maybe :-)

Any ideas/input?

Fenhorn

Re: Tracking someone

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 13:22

I use the hunting rules for tracking. You hunt a humanoid instead of an animal. Master of the Hunt rank 3 can't be used obviously since you don't roll the d6 Hunt roll (you already know what you have hunted).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

thebwt

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 17:05

You could simply require an additional roll, but I feel like I'd bake this into the narrative of "Lead the Way".

Unless you want a gamification of cross country hide-and-seek, then perhaps scouting/survival vs stealth? It really depends on how you want it to play at the table.

Taking notes from Burning Wheel and stuff, my gut says to let the Lead the Way survival roll carry forward.

AndersP

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 17:20

I would suggest something like what they do in some episodes of the AP-pod Sweden Rolls, that the hunter use Scouting to find them and that the hunted use a Stealth roll. Perhaps with a demand for a successful Lead the way for both parties. A failure on Lead the way gives advantages to the other party (perhaps an added success?). If they are many hexes away I would have the hunters either have to walk another quarter day or have the other party fail a Lead the way to shorten the distance.

andarp
Topic Author

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 17:50

Thank you all for the reply. I agree that Lead the way is a natural fit. It also reduces the rolls. I'd say that the general case for tracking someone who doesn't know they're being tracked would just be a straight Lead the way roll, perhaps modified by the environment and how far behind the tracker is.

The opposite, to avoid being tracked, I'd say you can simply slow down the pace to one tile per half day and make any attempts to track you have a negative modifier by some amount (flat -2? stealth roll? I dunno).

In general I think it will make sense at the table - I mostly wanted to throw some thoughts around and see if anybody else had any ingenious ideas.