Robandstuff

GM Will Power, "balancing" encounters, Monster Armor

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 17:32

My players are racking up WP left and right (we did random characters, so only one magic user) so I am starting sessions with 30 WP +/- 5. So far, almost none of the NPCs I've had from the campaign have had talents to use, and most of our combat lasts just a couple rounds (see below) so I just don't use any WP. Anyone house ruled other ways to use WP for the GM?

Also, we have a larger group with 4-5 players at our games and it seems like the players are chewing through combat, even tough stuff, now that they have geared and "leveled" up a little bit. What's everyone doing to help balance encounters? I'm probably going to start having most monsters act twice in a round (I believe that's recommended in the GM guide) and also probably increase the number of opponents for randomly rolled things by about 50% (so D6 ghouls becomes D6+3, etc). Any other ideas to help keep things interesting?

Lastly, does monster armor degrade? I couldn't find an answer in the GM guide. On one hand, it's armor so I assume it follows the regular rules unless stated otherwise. But on the other hand, it's generally scales and hide, so it seems like the armor damage would be just rolled in to taking damage. Am I missing anything in the book?

andarp

Re: GM Will Power, "balancing" encounters, Monster Armor

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 18:25

Lastly, does monster armor degrade? I couldn't find an answer in the GM guide. On one hand, it's armor so I assume it follows the regular rules unless stated otherwise. But on the other hand, it's generally scales and hide, so it seems like the armor damage would be just rolled in to taking damage. Am I missing anything in the book?

Natural armor never degrades, only equipment does. I don't have the english rulebooks so I can't give you a page reference, but it's in there somewhere.

Fenhorn

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 18:41

andarp wrote:

Natural armor never degrades, only equipment does. I don't have the english rulebooks so I can't give you a page reference, but it's in there somewhere.

Page 105 (under Armor).
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Robandstuff

Fri 04 Jan 2019, 18:49

Fenhorn wrote:
andarp wrote:

Page 105 (under Armor).

Perfect, thank you!

Klas

Sat 05 Jan 2019, 20:32

Robandstuff wrote:
almost none of the NPCs I've had from the campaign have had talents to use

NPCs found in the campaign and the GM guide are IMO too weak and need some boosting. Considering that new PCs have three talent points, most NPCs of any importance should have at least that many too.

andarp

Mon 07 Jan 2019, 11:11

Klas wrote:
Robandstuff wrote:

NPCs found in the campaign and the GM guide are IMO too weak and need some boosting. Considering that new PCs have three talent points, most NPCs of any importance should have at least that many too.

I noticed that too. I think I'll just arbitrarily give NPCs the corresponding talent to pump +1 dmg per WP when I feel like they deserve it (and I have WP to spare). :-)

Derp_Stevenson

Fri 11 Jan 2019, 20:20

andarp wrote:
Klas wrote:
Robandstuff wrote:

I noticed that too. I think I'll just arbitrarily give NPCs the corresponding talent to pump +1 dmg per WP when I feel like they deserve it (and I have WP to spare). :-)

It seems to me that for non-monster NPC combatants, you're meant to just give them talents so the GM has stuff to spend WP on. Like you said, let the tough enemy fighters ignore armor by spending a WP, add more damage, etc.
GZIP: Off