differentsmoke
Topic Author

Spells Known?

Thu 03 Jan 2019, 00:49

I haven't been able to find this in the rules yet:

Having ranks in a Magic Discipline talent means you can cast all spells in that discipline, up to one level above your talent rank.

But, does this mean that you KNOW all these spells? I'm assuming that this is the rule as written, but I wanted to corroborate, and also ask how you handle this within the fiction of the game. Are spells more like "techniques"?

Crel

Re: Spells Known?

Thu 03 Jan 2019, 05:14

My take is that you don't have to choose which spells you do and don't know. You can any spell you wish so long as its rank is equal to or below your rank in the requisite talent. And you can cast any spell of one rank above, but you'll always have a mishap. You can write any spell of your rank or lower into a grimoire with requisite time taken (& materials, I think? Going off the top of my head here).

A fiction which makes sense to me is that anyone of "Path of Sight 1" has learned all of the Awareness Rank 1 spells from her teacher, and has been learning odds and ends of Rank 2 spells. But, those Rank 2 spells aren't properly mastered yet, so they always go a bit awry. Spending the XP and time with a teacher (or lots of XP and trial & error) is basically putting a safe polish on that Rank's spells.