Ikari Gendo
Topic Author

Awareness and Sorcerers

Wed 02 Jan 2019, 18:17

In "The Spire of Quetzel" the Emerald Book on page 20 is a grimoire of Awareness and Blood Magic. On page 50, Astrid has both Path of Sight and Path of Stone. Is Awareness now both druidic and sorcerous?

Morgoth

Re: Awareness and Sorcerers

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 14:16

Good catch; though its likely an error, the Path of Stone does make more sense as a Druid Path. Although I wish it was open to both Druids and Sorcs.

FL really dropped the ball on magic in this game; far too few spells, and the ones that are there are underwhelming, even for a gritty S&S setting. The sorcerers in Conan & Elric stories had many more useful abilities.

Fenhorn

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 14:55

Astrid seems to be a very special witch. She can even fly. So she may have demonic attributes that allows her to have those magic traditions and also fly.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

AndersP

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 15:16

Good catch; though its likely an error, the Path of Stone does make more sense as a Druid Path. Although I wish it was open to both Druids and Sorcs.

FL really dropped the ball on magic in this game; far too few spells, and the ones that are there are underwhelming, even for a gritty S&S setting. The sorcerers in Conan & Elric stories had many more useful abilities.
I don't agree that they are underwhelming, you just have too think a little different about how to use magic. Our stone singer for example created some golems to fix Mrs Polmors mission in the Hollows without being noticed, and when they met a big beast in a cave he used his magic to do a cave in which saved the group from a TPK. The first one would have been hard to do without magic, and the second one would have been impossible to achive with normal skills.

Eldhierta

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 20:16

Bear in mind that the adventure sites in The Spire of Quetzel aren't necessarily canon when it comes to rules and view of the setting. I view them as independent stories that are more like parallel dimensional versions of FbL than actual parts of the narrative. The only one I see fitting in the original game is the Graveyard of Thunder. But I guess that all depends on taste.