Ikari Gendo

Awareness and Sorcerers

Wed 02 Jan 2019, 18:17

In "The Spire of Quetzel" the Emerald Book on page 20 is a grimoire of Awareness and Blood Magic. On page 50, Astrid has both Path of Sight and Path of Stone. Is Awareness now both druidic and sorcerous?

Morgoth

Re: Awareness and Sorcerers

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 14:16

Good catch; though its likely an error, the Path of Stone does make more sense as a Druid Path. Although I wish it was open to both Druids and Sorcs.

FL really dropped the ball on magic in this game; far too few spells, and the ones that are there are underwhelming, even for a gritty S&S setting. The sorcerers in Conan & Elric stories had many more useful abilities.

Fenhorn

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 14:55

Astrid seems to be a very special witch. She can even fly. So she may have demonic attributes that allows her to have those magic traditions and also fly.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

AndersP

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 15:16

Morgoth wrote:
Good catch; though its likely an error, the Path of Stone does make more sense as a Druid Path. Although I wish it was open to both Druids and Sorcs.

FL really dropped the ball on magic in this game; far too few spells, and the ones that are there are underwhelming, even for a gritty S&S setting. The sorcerers in Conan & Elric stories had many more useful abilities.

I don't agree that they are underwhelming, you just have too think a little different about how to use magic. Our stone singer for example created some golems to fix Mrs Polmors mission in the Hollows without being noticed, and when they met a big beast in a cave he used his magic to do a cave in which saved the group from a TPK. The first one would have been hard to do without magic, and the second one would have been impossible to achive with normal skills.

Eldhierta

Tue 05 Feb 2019, 20:16

Bear in mind that the adventure sites in The Spire of Quetzel aren't necessarily canon when it comes to rules and view of the setting. I view them as independent stories that are more like parallel dimensional versions of FbL than actual parts of the narrative. The only one I see fitting in the original game is the Graveyard of Thunder. But I guess that all depends on taste.
GZIP: Off