Bez
Topic Author

Starting Willpower

Thu 27 Dec 2018, 16:44

Do PCs start a game with zero willpower which has to be built up via pushing?
I can’t see anywhere that describes what the starting value should be.

Fenhorn

Re: Starting Willpower

Thu 27 Dec 2018, 17:02

Yes, you start with zero WP. On the other hand, the GM doesn't have any either.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Bez
Topic Author

Thu 27 Dec 2018, 17:12

Cool.
I haven’t played FL yet but I can see PCs pushing ridiculous things like Scouting right off the bat just to accumulate WP.
It will also be tough on spellcasters.

I suppose it is an even playing field like you say though.

The party needs to defeat the sorcerer in his stronghold? It may be prudent to do it as soon as the game starts so they have no WP and can’t cast spells.

Fenhorn

Thu 27 Dec 2018, 17:56

I have played around 10-12 sessions so far and WP comes natural when just playing. Players are not allowed to make skill rolls out of the blue anyway and at least my players share their daily "chores".

mabon5127

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 14:51

It seems to be an arbitrary way of powering spells and talents.   I cannot cast a spell as a wizard until I am allowed to make a skill roll and only if I push that skill roll? Nah. This makes an otherwise compelling system seem unusable.

Maliloki

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 15:48

It's really no more arbitrary than waking up in the morning and only being able to cast x number of spells per day, or spend a pool of power points that refill every morning.

I find that this type of system has two major advantages over the others: it forces the players to have to do things and not just rely on their special abilities right out of gate and it emulates the mages in most of the books I read where spells and such are only busted out when needed and mages aren't complete invalids when not casting magic.

Additionally, as stated elsewhere, WP generally isn't an issue and at least a handful have felt the need to houseruled additional ways to spend WP to prevent hoarding.

Eldhierta

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 15:52

It's really no more arbitrary than waking up in the morning and only being able to cast x number of spells per day, or spend a pool of power points that refill every morning.

I find that this type of system has two major advantages over the others: it forces the players to have to do things and not just rely on their special abilities right out of gate and it emulates the mages in most of the books I read where spells and such are only busted out when needed and mages aren't complete invalids when not casting magic.

Additionally, as stated elsewhere, WP generally isn't an issue and at least a handful have felt the need to houseruled additional ways to spend WP to prevent hoarding.
+1

Arnold

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 18:45

After playin Mutant Year Zero a time, which has a similar system with mutant powers pushed with Mutant points which are earned through pushing rolls, i can say that it works well. 

But in Mutant, you keep your points from session to session. What is it like in forbidden lands? I am not certain about that?

Fenhorn

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 19:12

After playin Mutant Year Zero a time, which has a similar system with mutant powers pushed with Mutant points which are earned through pushing rolls, i can say that it works well. 

But in Mutant, you keep your points from session to session. What is it like in forbidden lands? I am not certain about that?
The players keep their points from session to session. The GM start each session with as many WP as the player start the session with.

Nicomos

Sat 29 Dec 2018, 21:24

I don’t have my books with me, but I seem to recall a stronghold grants 1 willpower....so players would be wise to start looking for a place to squat early.