SeaJay
Topic Author

Some Questions

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 16:42

EDIT: Loving FL so far :)

Page 92-93: Parrying
"If you PARRY with a weapon that lacks the PARRYING feature, you get a –2 penalty...[and] a –2 penalty if you parry with a weapon."

So that's -2 if using a weapon and another -2 if your weapon doesn't have the Parrying feature, so a hefty -4 penalty?

Am I reading that right? Seems very harsh. 

Fenhorn

Re: Some Questions

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 17:19

The rulebook say:
* If you PARRY with a weapon that lacks the PARRYING feature, you get a -2 penalty.
This is pretty straightforward. If you parry with a club, you get -2, if you parry with a shortsword, you don't.

*If the attacker STABS you, you get a +2 bonus when you PARRY with a shield but a -2 penalty if you parry with a weapon.
This is also pretty straightforward, especially if you look at the table at the bottom of the page. You do get a -4 if you parry a stab attack with a weapon without the parrying feature.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Eldhierta

Thu 13 Dec 2018, 19:22

Parrying with a non-parrying weapon is a good way of losing a couple of fingers. True story.

SeaJay
Topic Author

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 02:46

Page 122: Transfer
"The base cost to cast the spell is 1 WP, [I spend 3 WP] and you can then take or give as many WP as you want [I take 6 WP]. If your target opposes the TRANSFER [they do], it is not so easy – in this case, you can transfer no more WP than the Power Level of the TRANSFER [the 3 WP I spent earlier]. The WP used to cast TRANSFER [the 1 WP I spent earlier] are spent and are not transferred."

Let's say I have 4 WP. I spend 3 WP (down to 1 WP) for the power level, and another 1 WP to cast the spell (down to 0 WP) to take 6 WP, my target opposes, so I can only take 3 WP (up to 3 WP), I also lose the 1 WP used to cast the spell (down to 2 WP).

What am I doing wrong? 

Celebris

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 06:05

Thar you spended the WP to cast the spell twice in your calculation.
You start woth 4 WP and you spend 1 to cast the spell, then add 3 more to power it up so now you are at 0 WP.
The opponent Resist the casting so, you can now transfere only 3 WP.
You are back at 3 WP.

All of this, obviously, is not taking into account the possibility of increasing the powerlevel with the spell with ingridient and any 6 rolled on the casting roll...

SeaJay
Topic Author

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 12:06

I forgot about that

I'm still a little unsure how exactly the expenditure of WP works with this spell. Do you spend just the 1 WP and the roll the dice in the hope of getting multiple 'X'? Is there another WP spend I'm not seeing? 

Perhaps if someone could put together a short example of how this works in play.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 14:26

Hi!

The number of WP spent when casting a spell is equal to its base Power Level. When casting Transfer against an unwilling target, you'll need to spend as many WP as you want to steal, meaning you won't actually gain WP in the end, but the victim will lose them - UNLESS you use an ingredient or the spell is overcharged, in which case you'll get net gain of WP in the end.
Fria Ligan

SeaJay
Topic Author

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 15:16

Hi!

The number of WP spent when casting a spell is equal to its base Power Level. When casting Transfer against an unwilling target, you'll need to spend as many WP as you want to steal, meaning you won't actually gain WP in the end, but the victim will lose them - UNLESS you use an ingredient or the  spell is overcharged, in which case you'll get net gain of WP in the end.
Hi Tomas

So you spend 3 WP as that's the base power level? And basically if you want WP it is best to cast this on a willing subject?

Tomas
Site Admin

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 16:03

Hi!

The number of WP spent when casting a spell is equal to its base Power Level. When casting Transfer against an unwilling target, you'll need to spend as many WP as you want to steal, meaning you won't actually gain WP in the end, but the victim will lose them - UNLESS you use an ingredient or the  spell is overcharged, in which case you'll get net gain of WP in the end.
Hi Tomas

So you spend 3 WP as that's the base power level? And basically if you want WP it is best to cast this on a willing subject?
Correct. In order to actually gain WP from an unwilling target using this spell, you'll need to overcharge the spell.
Fria Ligan

SeaJay
Topic Author

Sat 15 Dec 2018, 16:39

Thanks Tomas

I think the game is really good. Haven't played it yet (I'm on the magic chapter). About the only thing I miss is having a large town or city for urban type adventures. I realise there are villages but I nice big city full of plotting npcs and lots of political backstabbing would be a nice change to the explorations that the game focuses on.