lupex
Topic Author

Gaining talents

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 12:17

As per RAW it takes a quarter day and a succesful Wits roll to gain rank 1 in a new talent.

Has anyone got ideas on how to make this roll easier, as I had a player with low wits fail this roll three times in a row and he got quite frustrated by it?
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Simpa

Re: Gaining talents

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 12:59

Give +1 dice fore every extra try after the first one...? Actually I missed this rule, so my players has just bought their talents with XP, thanks for getting it right for us :)

Fenhorn

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 13:01

Hire a trainer (cost one silver, I think) or if another player has the talent, ask him to act as a trainer.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

AndersP

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 13:40

I have skipped that rule since it feels like it will only lead to frustration and time wasting.

If a player failed, the rest will wait for 6 hours. Then the player fails again, the rest will wait another six hours a bit more frustrated (or go hunting and search for food). And so it continues until the player suceed...for no possible gains storywise for my group.

Rasmus

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 14:08

Although I can see the frustration I like it.

First of, I find it kinda funny that low wits could make you a slow learner, when you try to master a new talent (remember its only the first rank - so a trainer isn’t that inappropiate anyway). Second, I don’t find time wasting a problem - I actually think it serves a purpose in a game where resources are scarce. I personally like it when the players have to stop and think for a moment - and decide whether or not they should try to master that new talent right now, in the middle of a dark forest or such, or if they should wait until they’re safely back in the village.

That said, as a gamemaster I want everyone to have fun. So if frustration sets in, I’ll throw in a random event to liven things up. :)

Rymdhamster

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 14:25

A lot of the talents feel like they conect to one skill or another. You could change the rule to work similar to that for learning new skills that if you have succeded with skillrole that could be relevant for the talent during the session. Then have the player motivate why a particular role would be relevant if it is not clear cut.

For learning swordmaster, just get a sword and use it. If you successfully hit an enemy with the sword during the session, you can buy rank 1 of swordmaster. 

RenoGM

Tue 04 Dec 2018, 23:13

You could also make it a related skill roll instead of a Wits roll. Or even Skill + Wits to reflect the learning portion. 

pellejones

Wed 05 Dec 2018, 11:01

I have skipped that rule since it feels like it will only lead to frustration and time wasting.

If a player failed, the rest will wait for 6 hours. Then the player fails again, the rest will wait another six hours a bit more frustrated (or go hunting and search for food). And so it continues until the player suceed...for no possible gains storywise for my group.
The purpose, I see, with the delay is so the characters dont level up too fast. If you totally remove the time aspect, they will have less reason to spend any time in villages. Having to practice for a few hours makes it interesting for the other players who can explore the adventure site.

AndersP

Wed 05 Dec 2018, 11:11

The purpose, I see, with the delay is so the characters dont level up too fast. If you totally remove the time aspect, they will have less reason to spend any time in villages. Having to practice for a few hours makes it interesting for the other players who can explore the adventure site.
That has not been a problem for me (yet),some of my players want to fix their armor or rest to heal their wounds which means that there is time to explore. I also don't have the problem with the six hours, but that you need to have a sucess when rolling against Wits. This is what I think will lead to frustration for the players.

Fenhorn

Wed 05 Dec 2018, 12:11

I don't see the problem. If you have Wits 3, you have 42% chance to learn the Talent, 64% if you push. The only thing you loose if you fail is time and you should do this 1-2 attempts, that's a day (in game).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore