Fleuri
Topic Author

Encumbrance questions

Sun 30 Sep 2018, 13:37

A few questions regarding encumbrance:

1. Does worn armour count towards encumbrance limit? How about helmet?
2. Are PCs assumed to be all wearing a set of common clothes at the beginning of the game? Do they count towards encumbrance limit?
3. If both above statements are true, do both clothing and armour count towards encumbrance limit as armour is worn over clothing?
4. If PCs aren't assumed to be wearing clothes in the beginning, are they naked?
5. Is there a hard 10 normal item limit on PCs' carrying capacity? The player's handbook speaks of heavy items taking 2 rows on the characters sheet, normal taking one and light taking a half. Do weapons, armour, helmet and shield count towards this limit, as they are placed separately on the chracter sheet?
6. Players are assumed to have a knapsack, but there's no mention of it in the trade goods table. There's however a 'sack' and a 'backpack' which seem to be similar in functionality.
7. Are mounts assumed to have bags for carrying items or do steeds in Forbidden Lands come equipped with a magic cargo hold? :D

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Encumbrance questions

Sun 30 Sep 2018, 17:29

1: Given as its weight is listed, I assume yes
2: Weight not listed in gear lists, therefore no. You could argue that spares are light?
3: not clothes as above. 
4: no, assume players start off with simple clothes
5: Not hard, there is the pack rat talent after all - yes armour and weapons count towards the limit, because they have weight
6: typo between versions, use backpack
7: magic cargo holds OBVIOUSLY  :D

Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 30 Sep 2018, 19:13

Correct! :)
Fria Ligan

hperantunes

Tue 05 Mar 2019, 06:59

One additional question: for an over encumbered character (i.e. a character already carrying more than Strengh x 2 item slots, disregard pack rat), what would be an appropriate hard limit of items that can be carried at all?

mafusael

Tue 05 Mar 2019, 15:17

One additional question: for an over encumbered character (i.e. a character already carrying more than Strengh x 2 item slots, disregard pack rat), what would be an appropriate hard limit of items that can be carried at all?
Strengh x 4 I guess
Custom GM Screen and Character Sheet for FbL
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NTsVe ... YaBTUd9Rau

Valyar

Tue 05 Mar 2019, 20:45

Nothing is clearly stated in the rules on absolute limit for over-encumbrance, but the suggested x4 is in tone with other systems with similar mechanics. I would discourage this of course. If you have rule-lawyers that will quote the rules below and state that for the rest of the cases they can carry whatever they want, just ask for more rolls every 15 minutes of exploring an adventure site (if I recall this was the "turn" mentioned when you are at site and need to track time)

You can temporarily carry more than your normal encumbrance limit (Strength x 2 items). In this case, you need to make a roll for the ENDURANCE skill whenever you want to RUN in a round of combat (see page 88) or HIKE for a Quarter Day (see page 144). If the roll fails, you must either drop what you are carrying, stay where you are, or suffer 1 point of damage to Agility (see page 104) and keep going.

hperantunes

Tue 05 Mar 2019, 22:14

Strength x4 items as the limit for over-encumbered characters as both of you suggested sounds sensible, thanks.

I may allow characters to drag more than that in certain cases by applying the Endurance check every 15 minutes - nice idea - which could lead to interesting scenarios where the character's greed may lead to their downfall. :)

Valyar

Wed 06 Mar 2019, 11:14

I may allow characters to drag more than that in certain cases by applying the Endurance check every 15 minutes - nice idea - which could lead to interesting scenarios where the character's greed may lead to their downfall. :)
You can have a vault in the dungeon full of silver and gold coins and when they start filling the bags to remind them the rule on p.37 about the weight of coins... :D

9littlebees

Fri 08 Mar 2019, 08:59

I adopt a houserule for worn armour (not helmets or shields). When worn, the weight is reduced by 1. This means only heavy armour will count towards Encumbrance, and then only be treated as a normal item.

You could easily extend this houserule to helmets, but my thinking is that helmets are more burdensome to the wearer than armour, which is designed to spread the weight around a person's body.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

Valyar

Fri 08 Mar 2019, 18:25

I adopt a houserule for worn armour (not helmets or shields). When worn, the weight is reduced by 1. This means only heavy armour will count towards Encumbrance, and then only be treated as a normal item.

You could easily extend this houserule to helmets, but my thinking is that helmets are more burdensome to the wearer than armour, which is designed to spread the weight around a person's body.
I like this house-rule. Makes sense really.